7500lb winch at Sam,s,By Champion.
Anybody know about these ?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Re: Champion Winch @ Sam,s club

Nope, not directly.

However, Checker Auto Parts started carrying the Champion winches here, and I looked at their $80.00 / 2000 lb winch a couple of days ago. Looks identical the "Chicago Electric" one I got from Harbor Freight for $45.

So, I assume the Champions and the Harbor Freight ones come from the same factory in China and just get a different label slapped on them.

That said, the one I have on my ATV seems to work just fine, the little I have used it, even if it is kind of noisy and rough. So if price is really important and application is non-critical, you MIGHT be happy with it. Most of the "pros" say spend the extra money and get a Ramsey, or at least a Warn or maybe even a SuperWinch.

Compare this 8000 lb HARBOR FREIGHT $300 (free shipping) to your Sam's club one. before you decide.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 08:58 PM

Champian, Chicago Elect., Mile Marker Electric-----All the same winch made by the same Chinese Mfg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

soooo...your saying a tight a$$ like myself should buy one of those three...lol[img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:29 PM

all of those are pure CRAP! buy a real winch!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:15 AM
GRW

I paid about the same for winch I have now.
A used Warn 6000, it took a while to find it tough. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
all of those are pure CRAP! buy a real winch!

[/ QUOTE ]

Would guess that is correct... but be nice about it Zach.

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dale
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Way Outta Control

Bought the HF Chicago electric 8000 pounder about 2 years ago. Haven't installed it yet. Specs and pictures it looks identical to the older version of the Ramsey 8000. The newer Ramsey 8000 is faster and looks slightly different.

A few days ago a friend was over - he's got the older Ramsey 8000. I set my HF on his bumper to compare ---- totally INDENTICAL except for the label. Even the little casting marks were the same. But -- the plastic housing on the remote control was slightly different, but only the color. My control worked fine on his.

He's used his a bunch with no trouble.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 08:49 AM

at the one park we spend all our time at we do recovery alot for the guys who get in over their heads. we have seen all kinds of winches fail.
at th etop of the list is the ramsey 8 k peice of crap. one guy runs that, and it has failed over 10 times in a course of a year, and it time it is a different part. shure others have failed, but not nearly as bad. my warn has lost a motor, the other guys warn broke the housing, but that was do to a rollover.
we have seen mile markers EXPLODE out there when not even pulled on hard. when you use it alot, the cheap mile marker/ramsey/ harbor frieght winch is absolute garbage, it will not last.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:15 AM

OK Here I go again...IMHO

Did it ever dawn on you that not all of us have the time to go trailing every week. That some of us don't use our winches every outing (I don't even have one and I get by). Oh...And some of us don't have the free cash to buy an overpriced brandname (read Warn) winch. So, we make due with alternatives. Pretty good alternatives for the money.

[ QUOTE ]
it has failed over 10 times in a course of a year

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a ratchet set from Craftsman that I use all the time. I snapped my cheap 3/8" chinese ratchet, that I never use, undoing a bolt on the underside of my zuk. The Craftsman 1/2" ratchet undid the bolt though. WOW are Craftsman tools great...oh...but I didn't put a 4 foot pipe on my Craftsman 1/2" ratchet did I? This example doesn't show quality or reliability. It shows the chinese ratchet broke and the Craftsman didn't. This example does not allow for fair comparison.

As for your little examples of failure, it seems brand bias and shows little of reliability fact. Some guys don't even USE their winches 10 times in a year! Failure is often a result of missuse or incorrect service. I have seen many people use their winch incorrectly and have varying results. People who do not have a lot of experience often tend to overwork their winches on a regular basis. These are the same people who buy less expensive winches or smaller winches as "Starter" winches. This type of combination often result in failure, including WARN winches.

Did you know that the company that makes Mile Marker/HF and compatibles are made by a company in Taiwan, called Duke electric winches and hoists, NOT china. They manufacture 40% of comercially available winches. They are number 1 in Asia and Africa and getting bigger all the time in north america.

Has anybody seen and real data to support any of these facts? I'd love to see scientific test data in a controlled enviroment.

[img]images/graemlins/warning.gif[/img] maybe comments like "all of those are pure CRAP! buy a real winch!" could be followed with IMHO too? What exactly is a "real" winch? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode