Shaking in 4wd - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Shaking in 4wd

My samurai is having a bit of an issue. Actually it has had this issue since I bought it and it continues to have it after I have done my SPOA (5") conversion. What I am getting is shaking when I engage my 4wd. I don't get it when the hubs are locked and running 2wd but once I put it into 4wd and get into second it starts to shake (the whole truck). Anyone have any suggestions. I haven't as of yet tried 4WD low but maybe I should. I would assume that I would get the same thing but maybe at a higher gear due to the ratio change.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:31 PM

Re: Shaking in 4wd

check yer driveshaft
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Mr_DIY

yea, there are two red dots that should line up. also may be a bent/twisted front axleshaft (unlikely though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I tried changing the front drive shaft and the t-case a while back but that didn't seem to help. A bent axle up front does seem unlikely but I guess you never know.
Does having the shaft line up with the dots really that crutial? Should I maybe look at getting it balanced? Would it be worth it? Just thinking about it while I write it. This is happening in 2nd gear so the speads I'm doing aren't fast at all. Could and unbabalanced shaft cause those issues?

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about this again this morning. If the hubs are locked and but 4wd is not engaged isn't the drive shaft spinning freely? Isn't the only difference between running in 2wd with the hubs locked and and 4wd with the hubs locked is that the t-case is making a connection between the front and rear driveshafts?
Would having different gear ratios in the front and rear diffs cause this? I'm just grasping at straws here. I'm thinking gear ratios isn't the issue in 1st gear it doesn't seem bad at all. I just can't understand why in 2wd with the front hubs locked and everything spinning its fine but in 4wd in 2nd gear it wobbles horribly.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Check the slip splines on the front shaft , if they are worn that shaft will wobble out of a straight line under a load ....
Sarge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Considering I have changed the driveshafts in the past I don't think this could be it but I will none the less take a look at it.
The only thing that I am not a %100 sure on is the balance of the shaft. I have spares but they are in peices. Again seeing how slow I am going I can't see this fixing anyting.
I'll try the suggested items and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the help
[img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Looks like you need to visit:
Ack's Driveshaft Assembly Video!

It's a minute long and explains it all!

You may have a driveshaft balancing problem as others have suggested if the driveshaft was assembled correctly.

The vibrations appear to start in second gear or higher.

Actually, I don't remember anyone discovering that their driveshaft was out of balance but It could also be a correct diagnosis! The Pinz 710M (AKA "SJ-425 SE") has a uniformly bad habit of developing a nasty vibration at 45MPH because of factory-related front driveshaft imbalances (hey they really didn't think the truck would be driven that fast anyway -- it Military!) so this could be true with you driveshaft especially if you mixed and matched the shaft components.

I bet it's simply a mis-alignment problem easily solved by reassembling the unit at the splines.

(HEY! I MADE IT TO 1400 POSTS!)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

definitely sounds like the driveshaft, just wondering, did you use a spacer after doing the spoa? I had this shake problem on my dad's zuk and found that the shake went away after spacing the driveshaft. the splines on the slip yoke were a bit worn out at the ends and only in about an inch or so. In turn the 2nd gear death wobble was emminent. pushed the yoke in together after spacing the driveshaft and it went away

if you are spaced it prolly needs more spacing. after the spoa and moving the front axle forward I had to get a custom sized spacer 2 1/4" long
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 AM

Mine was doing that too in 2nd gear and a little in 3rd... while locked in to 4wd, but it turned out to be just a bad U-joint (closest to the t-case) on my front driveshaft.

(some people pay good money for a vibrating seat, we were getting a massage for free!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode