stock alt. vs. 55amp auto parts store alt. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

stock alt. vs. 55amp auto parts store alt.

How much of a difference is there in a stock alt on a Samurai and the 55amp alts sold at most parts houses?

I know that when i run my lights,wipers and heat on high it is pretty rough ...volt meter will drop to right at 12v from 13.8v-14v.....if I use hi-beams it will drop more and lord forbid i have to put my brakes on...brake lights and blinkers drop it too [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] I can be sitting at a stop sign and volt is about 11 or less on the meter....this cant be good. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

So would I see a big diff going to a 55amp alt? I believe I have read that a stock alt is like 30-35amps...I dont have a winch or a high power stereo system.....I just dont like seeing below 12v on my gauge.

I have considered doing the GM alt swap,but figure in buying a bracket,GM alt,larger wire and fuse plus the time involved I would rather pay the $95 at Advance or Autozone for one that will drop right in.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:01 PM

Re: stock alt. vs. 55amp auto parts store alt.

the stock one will last 14 + years the auto parts store rebuild will be more like 3 years sometimes alot less. I would check my battery wires, alternator wires, and my battery condetion. I replaced my suzuki alternator when the bearings went out in it. I replaced it with a gm alternator because it was cheap.(the gm was an non rebuilt unit wich will probably last alot longer than the auto part store rebuilt units)

I did a 16oo 16 valve swap and plan on running the stock kick alternator till it goes bad then I will probably replace it with a new (not rebuilt)gm alternator
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 PM

I also replaced mine with a 100amp GM alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Old Hand

Ditto on the GM swap. Brackets are easy to make (can send you the dimensions) and the upgrade is well worth it. You won't be out much more change in the long run. My GM alt. was a rebuilt one & $42.99 was way cheaper than the $118 they wanted for the 'kick alt. Swapped pulleys & made a bracket in less than 2 hrs. Charging at 15 volts. Very bright lights now.

Brad.

[img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Hey Brad if you would send me the dimisions...I got a buddy that might could work one up for me.

Also what is the part # for the alt?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Old Hand

Sent to the e-mail in your profile. I believe the part # was 7273 for a 78 amp, 7292-9 for a 94 amp. I just checked www.autozone.com & they were $49.99 & $64.99 w/ a $30 core(you can find an old GM alt. lying around anywhere).

Hope this helps you out.
Brad.

Edited to add: Link to IZook write up

It doesn't have any pictures, but I can snap you a few of mine. You'll have to wait till this weekend though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 AM

Snached a GM alt. out of my buddies Cadallic before he sent it off to the junk yard. Had it bench tested and it's putting out 110 amps. Been a little afraid to put it in----won't that much output fry sompthing?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Snached a GM alt. out of my buddies Cadallic before he sent it off to the junk yard. Had it bench tested and it's putting out 110 amps. Been a little afraid to put it in----won't that much output fry sompthing?

[/ QUOTE ]

that just means it is capiable of putting out that many amps. I ran a 100 the only time I had a problem was using my winch. the motor was at idle during winching as soon as I got in and gave it some gas it bluw the fusable link. my best guess is at idle the rpm was too low to put out enough amps. when I throttled it up the alternator tried to put out 100 amps wich is more than the link could handle. I later installed a 8 guage wire from the battery to the alternator output.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Old Hand

Bout 6 months ago put on a Sidekick alternator- A direct fit except for some grinding down a lip on the back side of the alt and a couple of washers to line up the larger alt with the fan pulley. Bout a 1 to 2 hour job ...no problems... no experience 65 year old fart did it. last time I wrenched was in Bill Muckefuss's Gulf station in 1954... in Columbia, SC...

No problems, heater fan runs same speed all the time when all lights are on...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Old Hand

Typein alternator in the search routine and you should see pictures of the switch. if not let me know if interested I believe i still have the photos of my switch on my hard drive.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode