Engine Trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Engine Trouble

My Son's stock street Samurai, except for header and 2" exhaust w/flowmaster use to run like a champ, i.e. 85 MPH.
Still runs good sitting still during warm up, at idle and for about 500 yards. Then it starts sputtering and acts like the ignition is turned off (though it does not konk out), no power, slows to a stop, then acts like the ignition is turned back on, can run fine for a minute then the process is repeated. Basically non-driveable. I guess in Haynes manual terms "Missing thru out the driving range". Have replaced/installed: New fuel filter, new fuel pump, new coil, new distributor cap and rotor, new spark plugs and wires, new timing belt, another distributor, another computer, new oversized grounds (battery/engine/body to frame), another ignition, compression check (170 for all), changed to Pony carb. Nothing helps. I'm out of ideas. Please help with something I've missed. Runs like a champ for a minute on the street. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 02:49 PM

Re: Engine Trouble

Catalytic converter would be my guess.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Has no cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:11 AM

Sounds like you have all the smart bases covered. Did you try taking out the check valve on the fuel return line (small 1/2" o.d. in the return line near the fuel filter)? A nasty trick kids sometime do is put a plastic sandwhich bag in the gas tank. It has that exact effect.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:01 PM

I have come across so much ODD trash in fuel tanks that come into our shop (a candy bar was the strangest). Try running the vehicle off a alternate fuel source, i.e. a gas can. Just run it to your inlet on your fuel pump and see if the problem goes away, if it does, drop and clean the tank and strainer. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

This problem did occur after a fuel tank swap. We noticed the previous tank was leaking. Had another one on a rolling chassis, history unknown. I emptied it of the mess that was in it (about a pint of spoiled black gas). Put good gas into it twice and sloshed it around, seemingly real good. Then installed it. Will try your alternate fuel source idea.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Tried an alternate fuel source. Seemed OK. He has decided to install a fuel cell from Summit inside the vehicle, and ditch the stock tank. Will let you know how that works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode