HELP, ZUK Dies when I step on gas pedal???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 12:09 PM
happy2b1

HELP, ZUK Dies when I step on gas pedal????

[b] 1995 Sidekick JX, 16valve ,automatic, 4dr, fuel-injection

Update of what was going on earlier this week

<font color="purple"> Monday . . . .
was driving fine till I stopped at post offce (on my way home)left idiling while i went in to check my mail.
upon returning to Sidekick put it in gear stepped on the gas and it began to "sputter" then stalled.
then would not start again although it sounded like it wanted to. SO I go towed home( lol a whole mile and a half) </font color>

Tuesday . . .
still would not start . checked the relays my son did hear/feel the clicking . all other fuse are fine.
trying to borrow a volt meter as I not have one.
since is cold weather here we put some of that dry gas/gasline antifreeze in fuel tank
just in case maybe was moisture in or something </font color>

<font color="blue"> Then Wednesday
it started up fine &amp; idles [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
BUT .. the minute you step on the gas pedal it dies
but it will re-start &amp; idle</font color>

<font color="red">
you can post here or email me

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 01:27 AM

Re: HELP, ZUK Dies when I step on gas pedal????

Sorry, I know even less about fuel injection than I do about carburetors and ignitions....

But I'd bet that it is ECU related. Unfortunately , I'd GUESS your "computer" is shot, or some sort of sensor somewhere.

Stop by your local chain auto parts store (Checker, PartsAmerica, Kragen, AutoZone etc. and see if they have a Code Reader you can borrow. Plug it in and see if it gives you an error code. Someone around here can probably tell you what the code means once you get that info.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
happy2b1

ANY IDEAS??? Help will be appreciated

just a curious thought ,,as I have not been able to find anything ..
Is there any sort of electrical connection between the gas pedal &amp; the ECM.
so that when i step on the gas pedal instead of increasing the gas flow it turns something off ,
does that make sense?
What sensors I maybe should check? and how can you tell if a sensor is gone "bad"?

Unfortunately, too late for a CODE check because my son disconnected the battery to replace the cables and
install a new battery. Had I known he was going to do that i would have checked codes before.
snowing &amp; sleeting here, so guess have to wait a few days before I can get back out
as I not have a garage
(fingers crossed )"hoping" it not the ECM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you ran all of your ground wires and made sure they have a solid ground, and are nice and tight?
A buddy of mine was having problems close to what your having, and what it turned out to be a loose ground wire.
I guess the extra tourque from applying gas caused the motor to move just enough to open the gap in his ground making the car shut off.
Just a thought! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:19 PM

I wouldn't worry about the disconnecting of the Battery. The '95 should use the OBDII system, which has a KAM (Keep Alive Memory) feature. Try to get it to a scanner (i.e. Autozone). Check all of your vacuum lines first though, especially the ones that go to your Fuel pressure reg, and also check your wiring connections to your throttle body. Keep us posted! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:19 AM
happy2b1

Sorry to say ..but my 95 is OBD-I
All hoses ok
wiring ok, I see no breaks or corrosion.
New Battery &amp; battery cables
new fuel filter

guess I going send my ECM to be tested
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 08:34 AM
happy2b1

[b]Any other suggestions?

Is getting toooo COLD & SNowy to be out working on it but I really don't want it sitting till srping.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 06:41 PM

sounds simular to the problem i'm having right now...... only mine won't die completely till the battery is dead, which takes about an hour of driving..... i'm looking for an alt.... something about the injector needs 14 volts and with a bad alt its not getting enough voltage... might be worth a try..... another thing different is that mine is in the garage..... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] o yeah, mines a 94 with an 8V
ttyl
-Mike
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Way Outta Control

Funny -- Everyone starts with the most expensive, most complicated, and least understood. Guess that's human nature - "Fear what you don't understand and can't afford."

Your description fits the description of a defective coil wire -- of course you did start there - right?

Clean the top of the cap and the coil tower - look for carbon traces on them. Look under the cap for condensation, and of course, toss on a known good coil wire -- new doesn't always mean good.

If shotgunning it like that based on symptoms doesn't fix it, you'll have to determine if it's fuel or ignition related. Check to make sure you have a healthy spark when it happens.

No matter how many or what type computers it has, the engine still needs spark and fuel to run. The computers just help that happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode