O/T I'm looking to buy my first Motorcycle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

O/T I\'m looking to buy my first Motorcycle

I have never ridden a bike before, not even a dirtbike. I've wanted a street cruiser for years so next spring I want to take riding lessons.

A friend is selling a 2001 Honda Shadow 750. I like the bike's styling and a review I recently read said that this is an excellent bike for a beginner because the seat is low, the bike has a low center of gravity and it's fairly torquey making riding in traffic easier.

I figure this would be a great first bike to learn on. If I really enjoy riding I can trade up to something bigger the following year.

So those of you who are motorcycle savvy, please weigh in with your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:17 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: O/T I\'m looking to buy my first Motorcycle

Hey Ray....Eh!
That bike would be perfect to start on!
I work for a Honda' dealer, and I see a lot of people come in and buy smaller bikes (250, 600s), to learn on...only to come back in a month and want to trade for a 750. They have enough power to keep you entertained for a while, the stop good, handle decent....and are anvil reliable.
I prefer something with a little more juice....but a great all around starter bike! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Veteran

Good start! I miss motorcycles, If I could find an FJ 1200 in good shape... That was a nice sport-tourer. i begged my Uncle to ride it when we would go on long rides. My GSXR750 wasn't a good tourer [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I race sportbikes, but from what I know about cruisers, that is a good starter bike. Now, if you ever want a nice sport-tour, or even a sportbike I know of a lot that are good for starter bikes.
Good luck in what ever you buy, they are a blast! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Bad news. Just met with my buddy for beer and wings and the bike is sold. Guess that's what I get for sitting on the fence huh. I was waiting for the cash to come in from the sale of my last house to commit.

Oh well, might just buy a brand new one instead. They aren't that expensive relatively speaking and should hold their value quite well.

Thanks for the helpful opinions anyways guys.

Smitty, post some pics of that Buell when you finish restoring her. BTW weren't you gonna send me some decals someday - given that I was designated an official Bedford Boy at Zookimelt. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Veteran

ray you'll love it. i wish that i still had my bike. just remember to take it easy in the beginning, it is easy to scare your self out of bikes.

Sean
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 11:09 PM

Well, when you do get that bike, take one of those AMA sponsored motorcycle safety classes -- they usually take a weekend to complete. They have them around here at the community college, and the Harley dealership. In fact with the certificate of completion from the class, Nevada DMV will give you the motorcycle endorsement for your license without having to test.

I highly recommend it. Might save your butt -- literally.

Good luck,
WB
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Rossco

Originally posted by Rqdl Oh well, "might just buy a brand new one instead". Don't do it man. You will almost inevitably drop it and there is no shame in that but i think you would be better off grabbing the cheapest, but relatively safe, piece of crap you can find and play with that for awhile. My first bike (and this was not too long ago) was a 1978 honda cb550K (4 exhaust pipes baby). Thing was awesome. Drove like a tractor and stung like a bee. Broke my leg on it and never rode again but the point is the beast cost me next to nothing and i had a hell of a time with it... Until the injury of course. To each their own, good luck either way but be carefull. Rossco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:22 AM

Hey Ray....Eh
The Buell is mint! I am just changing some things around to make it my own.....getting rid of some chrome!! Then some more horseypower by spring!! Set of Andrews cams, Dyna ignition....up the compression a bit...port the heads....and some super secret carb work! should bring me into the 115-120 hp range...with 130 or so foot lbs of torque! Make a good Sammy motor huh??
The Bike is a 1200cc....and the sammy is a 1300cc
You can see pics of my "other" baby here:
Buell Pics
The first several pics are from when I first got it....dumped all the purple stickers and crap....last one is what it looks like now. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:29 AM

No offense Rossco....but bikes have come a long way since 1978. The run better, handle better, stop better, and are a lot more user friendly....I ride all kinds of bikes...everyday. I would rather be on something made in the last 5 yrs...some of the old stuff scares me...I rode a 1980 Goldwing the other day...scariest bike I have EVER been on!! and I have been WELL over 150mph on several sport bikes....I don't scare easy!!
If you don't wanna' scratch up a new one....grab a dirt bike, and beat it around for a while....then all you have to do is get used to the extra weight....and wear a helmet!!!![img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Oh....and by the way Ray...eh, I had completely forgotten about your stickers...PM me with your address, and I will get you some!
You have Yahoo, or MSN messenger?? If so...send me that too! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode