Coil polarity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Coil polarity

OK, I'm confused.

Setting the timing on my 87 tintop. Just installed a new Accel super coil day before.

Try to hook up my dwell-tach meter to measure idle speed, black clip to ground, red clip to positive + terminal on ignition coil according to instructions... Doesn't work. Red clip to negative - terminal on coil, it works.

Think, hmm, polarity is reversed. Examine more closely; have a brown wire going to the negative terminal, black / white stripe wire going to positive.

Get out multi-meter. Detatch wires from coil and measure with ignition on (but obviously engine not running). Black/white stripe has 12.7 + volts to ground. Brown wire has fluctuating + .0 to + 3.3 v to ground.

Turn ignition off, check to see if either wire is grounded, Nope, neither wire goes directly to ground.

FSM and Haynes of no help in determining which wire goes to which terminal. Nor does a search of all the Suzuki forums.

How do you determine which wire goes to which terminal? Is it possible that the factory polarity markings on the coil are reversed?

Or does it even matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Addict

Re: Coil polarity

The FSM for an old Vit (Track/Kick) shows the coil -ve to be brown/white and the black/white to be +ve. I wouldn't imagine that they would change their colour scheme for wiring very much between models. Black or black/white seems to be fairly standard for +ve amongst Japanese manufacturers. As to why it doesn't work I'd imagine that its to do with the very short dwell time you get with an electronic system. The coil must be connected the correct way round to get a spark.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: Coil polarity

Thanks for the input-

Still doesn't make sense that the tach meter worked properly and accurately last time I tuned the engine, and now it works OK with the (apparently) wrong terminal on the new coil.

Oh well, it runs OK so I guess it doesn't matter too much. Just thought it was kind of weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode