minor update locker question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

minor update locker question

Okies, I have some questions about lockers now. I pulled my rear chunk. I had sludge and metal deposits on the drain plug. I had uneven wear on the gears and it was leaking fluid out the seal at the flange. I found that I had a busted u-joint that let loose a couple of weeks ago. I had thought that the chunk was shot.

I had a front chunk that I wanted to use because the fronts always have fewer miles than the rear. Also Iím reusing the locker from my other chunk that I had in there. When I did the rear disc I found that the bearings were in need of replacement so I put in another chuck. We checked the movement on the front chunk. I think itís called backlash it was .005 of movement. So we took the rear chunk apart to get the locker out of it. We got to the main holder and started to disassemble the front chunk. We got to the center part took off the cover. Someone had welded the spider gears so it was a Lincoln locker in the front.

Well I donít like Lincoln lockers. And for a daily driver with stock axels and running 33ís I would be asking for problems. We could not get the front side gears out so we had to make a decision. And it was to put the locker assembly in the front chunk. But the bearing that needed to be replaced was on the cover part so we used the cover from the front chunk. We replaced everything back. We spun the adjuster around one full turn. Checked the backlash it was .005 again.

Pulled all the stuff to swap the chunk and put it all back. Now for the test-drive.

As I pulled off straight it went boom, boom, pop, pop. As I was going about 10 mph and turned right under slight gas no problem. I got straight and boom. I went down the street and really no problem. I started to turn right it was quiet and I turned left and boom, boom, pop, pop. Then on the way back home the left turn just as load and noisy then I started to pull a small hill about 5 to 10 mph it made a couple of booms and pops. I put it in reverse and backed up to the right and you could see the gravel churn on the passenger side as I backed up.

So I can tell somewhat that the locker is working but why all the banging and popping. I have heard several lockers and most are quiet with the little tink, tink, tink as it turns a corner costing. This locker I used for a while and it never made a tink noise and Tim Tacket at Zuwharrie told me it was not set up correctly. So when I pulled the rear locker to do my rear disc and replace the axel from the wreck. This is when I found the bearing had slack it would rock back and forth a 1/8Ē so I opted to put in my original chunk. This locker I was told was a 1530. After LQQKing at the side gears they looked like the ones in the front.

So let me hear what Iím doing wrong. I really need to get this thing back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: locker question

Jus my 02 worth but it jus sounds like those damn lokrites. I had one in the rear and it ate 2 pinion bearings while being a dd.

As far as setting up the rear after installing the locker. This is WITHOUT removing the pinion. While looking at the gear (pinion is away from you) turn the left adjuster until the gear jus contacts the pinion. Tighten the adjuster holder. ON the right side turn the adjuster until it just starts to stress the case. Thats it. At least thats what brent at Trail tough told me. I did it and it works great. Like i say tho, that is how he told me to do it if i didnt remove the pinion. If you do i dont have any idea how to do it. LOL

I personnally wouldnt run a lokrite in the rear on a dd. I think that the loadin and unloading of the locker causes more stress than a spool. Jus my .02 worth tho.

Hope i helped in some way or another. If not try to call brent tommorow. Hes extremely helpful.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 07:41 PM

Re: locker question

it sounds like the locker itself is too tight or loose due to tolerences in the side gears locker couplers pins ect.

I had one it wouldnt rachet on one side took it apart swaped the locker couplers worked great.

I test the ones I set up by using the shafts in a vice. it is hard to explain but you should be able to put force on 2 parts and rachet/turn the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

minor update locker question

found that it's not a 1530 it has factory side gears so i would say it's a 1510

also found that on the passenger side the large springs were gone and all the spring was on one side and all the studs on the other.
oem specs for the back lash are .004 to .006 this is for all new stuff.
we had it set to .005 and I was told that was too tight.
after resetting it up we put it at .010 is this good or is it too much (loose).

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:20 PM

Re: minor update locker question

It is always a good idea to check backlash BEFORE the carrier is removed so it can be set back to the same spec. it was running at originally.

I even mark the gear where I took the reading. Sometimes backlash will change + or - .001-.002" other places on the ring gear.

Never try to tighten the backlash on a used set of gears to eliminate play.

I get calls weekly at my shop from people wanting me to "Re-shim" thier reaend to get some play or noise out of it. Truth is, if there is too much paly, somthing is worn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode