wheeling yesterday - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

wheeling yesterday

SLOPPY!!! that all one can say about the wheeling yesterday.Started out with 5 of us but after 15 min and the first hill there were only 4 that remained for the day. Kevin shattered a front u joint and found out his ball joints were also harmed so that took him out. After alot of extraction and slip sliding fun the rest called it a day at about 2:00. Ball joints, front axel, Tailgate, bedside, left rear corner, broken overload leaf,3 mirrors and a destroyed driveshaft was the parts total for the day.The following are 4 pics from the day. Didn't get many, it rained all day long.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1365715-bbsbird1.jpg (36.0 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Re: wheeling yesterday

The question I bring to the board is about my rear driveshaft. I have a Jeep lower section with the Samurai upper section and slip shaft. Yesterday was the third time I have snapped the ears off of the slip shaft section. U-joint held together fine, its actually still there even with all the caps on. What have some of you done to have this not happen or is this just a freak problem I have? Is there a swap to gain a bigger flange? ( does anyone have a slip shaft they can spare )Wagoneer springs, Dana44's, 6.5:1 case, 35 boggers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1365717-bbsbird2.jpg (35.3 KB, 6 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Another, this one call my new winch to work.( props to Ranger Rick )The Jeep cherokee hooked up to me and could not even start to budge me. The 8000lb winch even started to strugle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1365718-bbsbird4.jpg (25.8 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Nasty, Nasty, Nasty... Another winch hole... Everyone had to be pulled or winched at least once. som of us even more. We did almost have the run of the park all day. Only 3 other trail rigs were there and we had to laugh on the way out. We say 2 new Rubicon Jeeps on the main road. We they say us coming, they turned around and left on another "Main" road.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1365719-bbsbird3.jpg (29.4 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

This is my favorite one from the day.Right after the hole I got stuck in, there was a big, sloppy, rooted, rutted, hill to climb. Ed, Mark, and I were at the top. Brad came down another route to miss the deep hole but have a shot at the hill. After he made it my son and I were walking up the hill to continue when his feet slipped out from under him and planted his snout right in the mud. I guess this would be one of those priceless memories a father will have to share in the future.Now I know what he will look like with a brown go-t.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1365720-bbsbird5.jpg (34.8 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Grumpy...looks like you all had a blast [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
I guess I'm gonna have to break down and go over to Dugger with you all sometime...Maybe we can have a "Belated Birthday Beatdown" since plans for Sundays run were cancelled due to our trail being closed. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Have you thought about running a Toyota D-Shaft? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I know the U-joints are just a little bigger, as well as the ears, and maybe that would be enough to help out.
Just a thought! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Are you breaking the Sammy end of the shaft?? or the jeep end?? If it's the sammy end, Brently may be onto something...cut up that toy shaft and use the slip yoke end on your shaft.
If it's the Jeep end....you might be able to get a flange from a Dana in a pickup truck or (maybe a corvette!!)something that has a bigger U joint....and beefier ears.
The one thing that will cure driveshaft woes quicker than anything as you know is.....gears!! through you some 5.38s in those axles...and there is NO tension on the shafts anymore. Of course, with your t-case gears, it's not driveable on the road anymore then either! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
I think the gears in mine have cured my drivetrain woes....I am gonna' put the toy shaft in, when mine breaks...but it's been in there since Zookimelt last year! I'm never gonna' get rid of it!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:46 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Oh...by the way....you gotta' get that boy a helmet!! Between the windshields, and the mud holes....he needs one! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

I am breaking the stock Samurai slip shaft. Toy shaft (on ebay right now) would be great but there is two big problems. I would have to remove the axles to change pinion angles and create a new shaft to fit. Thats alot of work for something that should be simple to cure. Besides, the yota shaft does not have egnough slip to it. As for the gears, mabyee in a few years I can afford them. I will need 4.88's, installs, axel seals, and some sort of new carriers. Its probably gonna be big$$ which you guys know, I do not have so I am trying to find a decent fix to this problem. At least my new beefed t-case arms work. They are now tried and true. What about getting a new slip shaft and welding steel to the outsides thicking it up?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Brently, its now shut down until next year. Thats why I was hoping everyone could go this weekend. Maybee Badlands next month at least thats what the wind is wispering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode