Trans gurus?? a question! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Trans gurus?? a question!

Ok...I lost 5th gear about a month ago...it will go in...but pops right back out. I got a trans from Pureevil71, with a broken case. I tore it down, and the gears were perfect!
So today I pulled the trans from mine...tore it down, and moved the mainshaft fron the other trans to it....there is where the problems started....5th gear was different....so I took 5th gear from that trans too. Everything was sweet! I tried it several times while reassembling it to make sure it turned smoothly....everything seemed ok.
I started to move the truck for the first time this afternoon....and it wouldn't budge forward!! So I put it in reverse....had to rev it some...but it finally jerked, and started moving. Ever hear a school bus back up?? That trans whine they make times 10!!! it howls...and I was going 3mph.
My question is this....in the later models the 5th gear was a different ratio....is that the only gear that changed?? Everything seemed to mesh well. I work on motorcycle transmissions everyday....if a gear breaks, you can replace it with a new one, and it well fit fine with the old ones...they don't have to be lapped to the old gears. Am I going to have to change the counter shaft from the other trans too??
I know I am gonna' have to take it back out....and strip it again....I just wanna' know where to start [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Right now....I am gonna' go drink beer....and not think about it! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Trans gurus?? a question!

ummm....take it to someone that knows what the're doing....lol [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm...Brently may be on to something there!
Ok update....alcohol made me curious...so I went back out, and tried again....it is fully funtional...all the gears work. It just whines like a mother goat licker! Even in neutral....sounds like I have answered my own question.....gonna' have to change the counter shaft huh?? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Must have more beer!!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 10:58 PM

For one, we know not what the different years were for the tranny, only that it was in the year the Sammi changed it's gearing. For two, the cluster from the changed year tranny has gotten used to the gears it was playing with, so the wear pattern has been established. It is kinda like putting a ring gear in a vehicle that has 100K miles on it, and putting a COMPLETELY different pinion gear that has 100k miles on it in the same rear end. I will whine like a Ford rear end! That's all I've got to say..... [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Smitty...

This is what I know.... Ya, there was a 5th gear ratio change late 88/89 went a tad lower. From what I gather that is the 5th to use....

As for 5th popping out... pay particular close attention to the syncro hub... it'll go in BOTH WAYS.... frontwards or backwards and will function on the bench perfectly.... only when you add torque to it will it slide out. I'll look for the post that I had a few months ago siting these problems.

In this case the FSM is priceless!! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hope this helps
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Smitty...

Here's that thread that I spoke of...

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post1206648

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

The trans just developed the popping out on it's own...so I know the synchro is in right. After 250000 miles of faithful service...I can expect that!
I started the truck, and just let it run in neutral for a while....and it started getting quieter...so I took it out for a drive....the more I drive it the quieter it gets....I will put some miles on it, and change the oil a couple times to get any metal out....and just see if it goes away.
If not...what am I out?? 2 junk trannys!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
And yes...there is quite a bit of difference in 5th gear! Problem is...I am running 5.12s, and 31inch tires....I really didn't need a lower top gear...already running the crap outta' it at highway speed.
Must be time for the 33x14 boggers huh?? [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode