axle housing fab advice needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

axle housing fab advice needed

hello, i am in search of technical information as to how to properly construct a hybrid rear axle housing. i have been searching the net for any write ups and have come up fairly empty. from what i have read via searches is most just buy the housings from tt or petroworks. i would prefer to build one myself.

i want to use the rear sidekick center with samurai axle tubes like the zuk vendors make. i know this is old tech stuff for us but i am just needing to get a future daily driver geared for cheap. i have a couple samurai rear housings and a complete rear tracker axle, a welder, chop saw, plenty of steel to construct a jig, and time off around christmas.

i know this is a very simple, straight forward cut and weld job but i want to get it right the first time and also create a jig so i can build another later on if i need.

are there any write ups that i am missng or can anyone describe the procedure to properly build a hybrid rear axle housing? looking for measurements, location of the cuts, best way to keep everything lined up, or any other advice or descriptions would be appreciated.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 09:12 PM

Re: axle housing fab advice needed

I started one havent finished it due to poor info I was told that with a little grinding the samurai tube would fit inside the kick tube.

As it turns out about 1/2 the wall thickness has to be ground off for this to work.

the other thing I read was to cut the parts with some over lap so one tube could go into the other and take them to a mufler shop and have the kick tube expanded to fit the samurai tube.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

szki272, thanks for your reply. i am still having a difficult time locating much info on building a hybrid rear axle and will continue to search.

okay i uncovered during a search that a gentleman whose user name was skeetshooter built his own unfortunately this was a very old post with very little info.

anyway since there was only one responce to this post i think it is safe to say that everyone must be forking out the fat bucks and buying pre-made hybrids or have tossed the zuk crap in favor of real axles such as danas or yotas for better strength. i don't need the increased strength since this is for a daily driver and i need to do a very cheap re-gear using my front and rear 4.62 gears diffs.

btt again for night crew. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 11:09 PM
Addict

I made my own hybrid several years ago,actually we made two, one for me and one for my brother. From what i can rember, we just cut the third members out and slid the zuki tubes in to the tracker section and welded it. easy to do, just gotta get it lined up good-- that is the tough part.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 12:26 AM

AkDale gives a pretty good description in This Thread. No detailed build-up pics though.HTH
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the great info. i wonder if it would be best to just cut the tubes to proper length and then add just the samurai ends or if i should cut the entire tubes from the diff and add the whole samurai tubes and ends?? i think the track/kick tubs are thicker...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The way to do it is the cut the tracker tubes to as close to the lenght as you can, then take the sami ends and turn them down in a lathe or grind them to fit, check alignment and weld.
I have the lenghts in my shop (written on the wall!)
I have done a few and they have held up well.
I will try to remember to post the lenghts. (I may have in an old thread (3years ago maybe.)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:08 AM

Ok, the reason noone has a done a write up is that the cost of setting up a 1 or 2 time deal is not worth it. What is your time worth?

But if you are really bored this is what you need to do.

First locate a heavy I beam just a little longer then the ZUK axle housing. Then take a tracker rear, gut it, and cut it about 6 inches down the tube where it starts to flatten out from the center diff on both sides.

You will then need to find a big pipe expander, like at a muffler shop and open up the holes just big enough to slide the ZUK tubes into. Drill a couple holes into the expanded section to do plug welds.

You will need to then cut the ZUK housing right where the housing starts to turn up to the diff. Then remove the paint on the ends of the tubes so you can get some clean welds. DO NOT GRIND.

Insert the ZUK tubes into the expanded Tracker housing.

Now for the hard part. You will need to setup your I-beam with ends that you can bolt the ZUK tubes to, high enough to allow the tracker center section to clear the IBEAM. At this point you can then rotate the center section to whatever degree you want. Leave the ZUK tubes at 0degrees this way it makes it easier to weld on new spring pads.

Once you have everything as you like it start to tac weld around the tubes. Make sure not to use too much weld in one area at a time because the tubes will start to twist and move around due to heat. Take your time to do all the wells.

It is very important to make sure everything is lined up perfectly and that you have the tubes bolted in tightly to prevent the tubes from warping/twisting. Leave the whole setup in the jig till it is completely cool. If you mess this part up you may never get your axle shafts into the diff, or you will wear out your bearings really quickly, or break rear shafts alot.

Now weld on your new spring pads parallel to the old ones, add on the brake mounts, and other tabs from the old ZUK housing.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

thank you very much for that nicely written instructions.

as far as time is concerned, i have very little spare time anymore. i would buy a pre-built used hybrid rear housing for cheap but that is not a reality so i will build my own when time permits. thnks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode