I need help installing a 2 piece hardtop....... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I need help installing a 2 piece hardtop.......

bought a 2 piece hardtop and I am having trouble getting the front piece to fit ...... There is a lip that goes around the outside edge of the windshield that is keeping the hardtop from fitting flush. I removed the front soft top clip so that isnt the problem.......also have the same issue on the back corner above the doors. Does anyone have this kind of top on there Zuk or know how to remedy it?? I was thinking I am going to have to cut the lip down to get it to fit flush,but I wanted to get some input before I get to hacking....

Here is the pic of the top installed on the person's Zuk I bought it from....(fits flush on his)

I also marked the spots where the lip is in the way...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 09:32 PM

Re: I need help installing a 2 piece hardtop.......

is it hitting the soft top snaps I had to remove those on mine as well. it should fit without cutting the body somthing must be hitting.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

No...it wont set down that far. I wish my digi cam was working so I could post some pics....

May try to borrow one and get some pics up so I can show the exact problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The front corners at the windshield frame had to be bent over on mine . No issues at the back edge of the doors , maybe the front lip could be causing that . Watch the seal on the front section at the targa bar , I had to get a different one from JC Whitney to seal mine properly .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sarge....I knew someone would come thru for me [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I just hate to go bending on my Zuk...lol
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:17 PM

to add to what sarge wrote. He is correct on the front part the lip needs to be bent towards the rear of the rig.

put some calking there to stop leaking issues, smooth it down, wait till it dries completly before you put the top on.

The second issue is the back of the front hatch. your overhead bars are in the way.. They are "Stock" aren't they?

if they are in the stock position they are on top of the targa bar and need to be moved to the bottom of the targa bar.
What the instructions of my top (which by the way is the exact same top) was to drill straight down the holes (carefull not to mess up the threads) once you have taken the overhead bars off.
then take a longer bolt with the same metric threading and put the bar ends on the bottom of the targa bar and bolt it up, CAREFUL not to tighten too much, otherwise it WILL cave the targa bar in at the top.

the bolts I used were flush with the top of the targa bar once it was installed you can put silicon to cover up the holes on top and keep the rain out.

Or you can put that long awaited roll cage in?

Hope this helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys.....

I got these pics from the guy I bought the top off of and they show what you were telling me.... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

He wast aware it had been bent down since he bought the Zuk with the top already on it.....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Journeyman

My hardtop looks just like yours and had fit issues both front and rear as well. I didn't want the rust issues as in the previous pics from bending down the metal like that so I took a dremel and just made a channel through the fiberglass just big enough for the metal ridge (both front and rear) just be sure of your final resting position before cutting into it

the pic from the front you can hardly see where the groove is cut

the rear pic is more obvious what I did.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I didn't want the rust issues as in the previous pics from bending down the metal like that

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already bent it down [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I am going to give it a shot or two of paint so hopefully it won't rust....

I thought of doing it like you did,but was afraid to go cutting on my top.....easier to replace a windshield frame than to try and find a new front piece for the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode