VSS options for 1.6 conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

VSS options for 1.6 conversion

Other then using the Geo Metro VSS reed switch to mount inside of the ZUK speedo for a 1.6 16v swap. Is there another VSS that can be used? Metros are very hard to find.

I have noticed guys talking about the Tracker VSS being used but I cannot see how it is mounted inside the ZUK speedo. R U guys removing the reed and just making up a circuit board to mount it in the speedo?

Pics would help explain this also.

Thanks
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 02:44 PM

Re: VSS options for 1.6 conversion

Hey Jason,

How ya' been? The later Tracker VSSs need to slightly modified to fit in the Samurai speedo housing. I haven't personally done one myself so I don't know exactly what to modify. I'd ask Whazoo or wait til he chimes in on this thread. Also, some of the Metro VSSs are identical to the Tracker ones. It seems that Suzuki (or whoever made them) just kind of piece mealed the intstrument clusters together with whatever parts were readily available. It doesn't appear that you can rely on a particular year or particular model for the "easy to install" VSS.

If you want, I can try to score the "good" VSS for you tomorrow.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 02:58 PM

I'm in need of a VSS and a detail of how to do this mod as well. How much would it cost me for the VSS Capn?

Koko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:03 PM

Let me see what I can find. The easy to instal ones are a little more difficult to find.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 04:01 PM

Almost anything with a suzuki badge and EFI has a VSS that will work. I haven't seen all the combos but Suzuki does seem to use a common parts bin for a lot of their models. Like the Capt'n said, Suzuki tends to piece meal them together with what ever style VSS is handy.

The circuit board style is the easiest to install. Its just a matter of popping it in and screwing it down.

The white nylon style (most common) takes a little trimming to get it too fit the suzuki speedo. I use to trim the speedo housing to fit the VSS. I soon learned it's easier to trim the VSS to fit the speedo housing.

I would remove the reed switch with a soldering gun. Then I would remove the raised plastic piece that supported the reed switch with a dremel tool. Then if you place the VSS up against the install spot on the speedo you can see what little trimming is needed to get the VSS to sit flat against the housing. Once the trimming is done, resolder the reed switch back into place. Then use the existing screw on the one side of the speedo housing to hold down that side of the VSS and there should be another hole on the other side for a new screw for that side. You may need a jewelers file to "oval" the VSS's screw openings to allow the screws to fit.

In both cases the VSS installs on the speedo itself in the same place were it was removed from the donors speedo. A Tracker/Kick speedo unit (from the back) looks almost exactly like a sammi's. The sammi's speedo even has a screw hole in place for the printed circuit board style VSS.

The electrical connections are simple. One wire is to ground. You can either run a ground wire out the back of the speedo or you can use a ground path on the speedo. The other wire connects to the VSS reference wire from the ECM harness.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM

The nylon style VSS.
*no wires attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1362735-Nylon VSS.jpg (17.1 KB, 79 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 04:04 PM

Circuit board style VSS.
*partially installed
**no wires attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1362737-CB style VSS.jpg (20.1 KB, 66 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Wazoo/Capn

I figured you guys were doing something like this, but actually hadnt seen it done. I have done a butt load of circuit board ones, and they are definetly worth their weight in Gold on when it comes to getting them done in a timely fashion.

I have used the Tracker ones to fix the circuit board ones cause they are very fragile.

I will have to give cutting one of the tracker ones a try. Shouldnt bee too hard.

Thanks again.
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Journeyman

I ve found these pix in the history of this forum..

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Journeyman

whazoo:

do I really need the VSS to be installed? What is the exact function of it and what would happen if the VSS isn t connected?

thanks for your answer.. I ve sent you a PM

supik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode