carb on 1600 16 valve Rockrat? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

carb on 1600 16 valve Rockrat?

I recient rebuilt my 1600 16 valve the gasket kit had a gasket for an 8 valve in it. I compared the two and all bolt holes lined up all ports lined up the only difference is the 16 valve has a dimple at the top of the port for the injector to sit all a person would need is a plate to go between the manifold and the head that would seal this area.

I would take a pix but my camera batterys died so did the other set I found. I did find a whole pack of brand new batterys (the wrong size )

this would only be part of carbing a 1600 it would need a different distributer since the avance is controled by the computer. I am pretty shure that the gear on the samurai distributer is cut in the opposite direction. the samurai distributer is very simple (sort of like electronic points) only a couple wires are needed to make it fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 08:02 PM

Re: carb on 1600 16 valve Rockrat?

why would you carb it!
stick the EFI that came on it and be done. it will run upside down and never cough oon that hill sidehill, or driving on its side!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I will take a look at my 16v and see if i can see what you are talking about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 PM

I made my 92 Samurai into an '88 with carb for RELIABILITY! I am a mechanic for a living and realize that EFI is great, but in the boonies KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)! A carb I can tear down in the field and clean it and it works again. Or I can change an ignition module and be going again. With EFI you would need EVERY sensor and ECM brought with you plus a scan tool. No thanks, KISS me please! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

I just remember a while back it was being discussed carbing the 16 valve. and how there wasnt a manifold that fit. after looking at the gaskets it looks like that part would be simple.I was guessing the adapter would be a multi plate and be expencive, but after looking it seems to be a simple setup that might be of interest to some. right now either sarge or daxe is building a 8 valve using a 16 valve bottom with 8 valve pistons and head

why carb it:

no/bad wiring harness or
no/bad computer or
no intake
and as stated keeping it simple

I have the efi but half way thru it I was in disbelief the amount of wires I went from 1 to the weber, 1 to the dist, 1 from the dist to the coil, 1 more from coil, 2 from alternator. 6 wires to run the motor vs ? with the injection.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 11:54 PM

shawn, i've had my injection for 3 yrs. now and i got the computer rebuilt when i got it and haven't had ANY problems since. i'd have to say other than the computers it is an extremely reliable system and once you get someone to go through the diamond star ecu you'll get yrs of trouble free use.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 03:56 AM

it is worth it more for me to have mine run on its side but be more complicated. you will learn the system and know what it takes to run and fix it and what to carry spares of for it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 PM

efi sensors, computers, and electrical do not like water at all. yes efi stuff can be waterproofed but it is much more work than non-feedback carbs.

another thing is parts for carbs are dirt cheap (such as webers)when compared to import efi stuff. suzuki wanted $700 or $750 for ONE throttle position sensor for a swift gti. auto zone wants $514 for a replacement efi samurai fuel pump assembly, and autozone is far cheaper than the suzuki stealership!!

while no one will argue about how great a efi system works when it is working properly, replacement parts for import efi systems are not only usually special order from the parts houses around here, but the cost is absolutely insane.

you have got to be jacking me if you think i am gonna believe that any normal human is going to pay $500-$700 for a replacement efi part for a $250 trail beater!?! not anyone i know anyway.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 01:53 PM

Parts for TracKick EFI systems are cheap up here, since they were all built in Canada. Worst case, you wait 2 days for it to be shipped from the east coast!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The 1600 hybrid is done and being broke in now . I am considering a stand alone aftermarket efi system for some R&D work and may even start selling them soon . Just depends on the economics of it all as I know Zukers are cheap , but in a good minded way . So far, first impressions of the new engine are better than expected , power is plenty and no real issues but time will tell . Just got to get some miles on it before beating it senseless . Hope Dave doesn't read this , lol . I'll post up some pics in a day or two....
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode