Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   aluminum diamond plate (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/201169-aluminum-diamond-plate.html)

hotwater501 11-11-2004 03:58 AM

aluminum diamond plate

Anyone know what would be good to cut aluminum diamond plate with? I want to do some custom stuff on my track but I can't cut this stuff and make it look good. Thanks....

mackzuk 11-11-2004 07:28 AM

Re: aluminum diamond plate

I use my woodworking bandsaw. It does a great job but if you plan on cutting a lot get a new blade when you get through. A skilsaw will work but make sure you clamp the work down good and wear a face shield. Plasma torch is the best.

Mr_DIY 11-11-2004 07:40 AM

great idea, I made my own rocker guards and targa plate (behind window) the thin stuff you can cut with tin snips (if you are steady) and the big stuff I have a local machinist who is real fair but the plasma torch/ skilsaw works well. later and post pics when done. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CTBrent 11-11-2004 08:39 AM

I've used a circular saw with success and a jig saw too.

daxe 11-11-2004 09:27 AM

I rip it with my bare hands.

~daxe

hotwater501 11-11-2004 10:34 AM

I'm stuck here in Germany so alot of the machine shop ideas are out of the question. However, I guess that I will try to us my Jig saw with a metal blade on it. Thanks for the help all. BTW, how should I clamp it? I kow that stuff is gonna flop all over when I start cutting.

CTBrent 11-11-2004 11:00 AM

Depends on the size sheet you have I would assume. A c-clamp if a 3rd hand is needed. An inexpensive saw will do the trick. Aluminum d-plate is soft enough to cut with a wood blade in either saw.

Daxe... what do you use for 1/4 plate steel. I need some of that cut down??? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

hotwater501 11-11-2004 11:08 AM

Thanks, this stuff is only about an 1/8 inch thick. Wish they made more for my 03 Track but I guess I gotta make it myself. It's only a 2wd. Can't wait to get back to the US to change that. lol. Thanks again

szki272 11-11-2004 11:44 AM

use wd-40 for lube when cutting it works great. we tried allmost everything in the machine shop when bandsawing some slots in aluminum (1000 pieces 12 slots each) the boss hates wd-40 and was shure he would find something that worked better. he finally gave up and got me some more wd-40.

blue_zuk 11-11-2004 07:34 PM

daxe, we got some sheets of 3 inch thick high strength steel at work if you feel up to a challenge [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]