Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   1.6 swap help, engine in and fires, wont run (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/201040-1-6-swap-help-engine-fires-wont-run.html)

itsAzukiTHING 11-08-2004 12:26 PM

1.6 swap help, engine in and fires, wont run

ok got the engine in and it starts but dies after only a few seconds. trail tough did the harness for me so i know that is good. new fuel pump is good, have all new o2 sensor, plugs, wires and cap (it gets great spark while it runs for those few seconds) it just wont stay running. even when i give it gas it just bogs and dies. has anyone ever had this problem? please help!!!!

Scott_CJ8 11-08-2004 12:48 PM

Re: 1.6 swap help, engine in and fires, wont run

My first thought is the timing. The distributer could be off by 180 degrees. #1 being in TDC position, but the dist. on the exhaust stroke, not the firing stroke. That'll make it backfire really bad. Or if it's just way off, then you may get good spark, then it won't run.
Other things....
Continuous fuel flow? enough pressure?
Not enough beer during rebuild process?
or....
Good luck.

itsAzukiTHING 11-08-2004 12:55 PM

if i reversed all the plug wires would that be the same thing as 180 degree out of time or not? i pulled the plugs they all have gas on them still

tazuki88 11-08-2004 01:50 PM

If it's a 16 valve make sure all your air sensors are in and you air boz is all connected

itsAzukiTHING 11-08-2004 02:02 PM

its 8valve. what else could this be anyone?

rodnee 11-08-2004 04:52 PM

I aqree the timing may be off. I would pull the timing cover and setup the engine on TDC. Make sure the belt hasn't slipped off a tooth and then while it is on TDC remove the cap and make sure the rotor is pointing towards the NO. 1 cyl on the cap. Also, double check the firing order on the wires.
Good luck and keep us posted.
rodnee [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

itsAzukiTHING 11-23-2004 02:29 PM

ok timing is good now. starts and runs but once it warms up, engine dies. for the first few minutes it runs great and sounds strong then it starts to bog out. anyone have any more info?????

Koko 11-23-2004 03:13 PM

Sounds like your not getting enough fuel now. Reverse the lines. Use the largest fuel line as the supply, and the old supply line as the return line to the tank. Thats what I was isntructed to do, cause otherwise the engine would not idle properly. I've had no problems. Contact Sean Devinney at aftermarket4x4.com He's the one that helped me out.

Koko