A bit O/T: What exactly is a Daily Driver? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

A bit O/T: What exactly is a Daily Driver?

We all seem to have a different description of what a daily driver should be. What does DD means to you?

For me a DD is a vehicle I can drive every day, no matter how far I am going. I do not have to think about fixing it, because it is relatively new, relativly solid, and relativly reliable. It has creature comforts for traffic, back roard and highway. If I need to go to the store, it's there. If I need to go 400 miles, it's there. It has space to haul my wife, my kid(s) and myself, and still have enough space for groceries or luggage for us to go on a short trip. It is presentable enough to go to a wedding, with a quick car wash. I should be able to drive my mother (or any older person) to bingo, church or whatever, without needing a stool or a winch to help them in. The key is on the board next to the door and when I need to go somewhere, I pick it up and go, no wondering or worrying and no pre-trip inspection for 10 mile dash. It shouldn't leak oil in my best friend's driveway. It shouldn't need oil every week. It shouldn't spew smoke of any kind. It should stay in it's own lane with little effort. I should be relaxed when I get to where I'm going. It should be pleasent to drive for 2 or more hours. Air conditioning would be nice and heat is a necessity. I shouldn't have to carry tools "Just in case". It shouldn't leak when it rains. It shouldn't be windy inside, when the windows are up.

Ask any one I LOVE my Sammy, but a DD it is not. My Ford Focus and Cherokee (also a kick-ass tow vehilce) are.

That's IMHO!

Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: A bit O/T: What exactly is a Daily Driver?

I always thought a DD was a rig be it car or truck that you use everyday as your primary mode of transportation. It is also kind of a tough thing because different people have much different commutes. I for instance use my Sami as my ride back and forth to work nearly everyday. The commute is 6 miles round trip so nearly anything could be used in my case. I agree a DD needs to be reliable. I have used my Wifes old Subaru as my DD from time too time and at one time it was leaking water like a sieve. But I could drive it to work add water drive home. I couldn't take it too far without adding water so it definatly wouldn't have made a good DD with a commute longer than 10 miles or so. I have since fixed it (thought it was the rad and didn't want to spend the money with 165K but turned out to be a $20 water pump) and now would be able to take it longer distances. So I guess the bottom line is a DD means different things to different people. Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 03:56 PM

To me,,,,,,,,,,Street Legal [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Addict

Ozzie, that to me sums it up very well. That makes my 2 sammies DD, except for the 400 miles, might go 150 miles for a single seating. Of course for a real DD my hd2500 dodge diesel is the greatest.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Veteran

I must agree.
A zuke was not built to be a commuter. Especially on the highways and with the traffic of today. I believe that a zook was primarily designed to be operated off-road as that is where it really shines---it is even fairly capable in its stock form.
It was built for speeds under 55 mph. IMHO
If it was built for speed they would have given it a larger motor and made it a little more aerodynamic.

Sammys by nature are not as stable as many other types of 4x4s, and when we put 6" lifts on them, larger tires, remove the sway bar on the front, put more flexy springs on them, and put softer shocks, not to mention the expanding shackles.....We are destroying the small ammount of stability that the Sammy had built in. So what do we do??? Put in a bigger motor to push those big meats down the road at a faster speed.
I realize that this post is going to generate a LOT of negative response. But don't forgewt that I am also one of those that drive a Modified Sammy on the road. Not the Beast, (That one couldnt even dream of keeping up with traffic) but the tin top that I am still building. It has 3" lifted springs. 31" tires,
Factory Sway Bar and will soon have a 4.3 vortec in it.
We all think that we have done a wonderful job in designing/installing our mods, and that our rigs are safe on the roads at highway speeds---------I don't think so...
A DD is something safe and dependable. IMHO
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 05:39 PM
GRW

Well mine is a DD to me.
It has 33's and is leagle for the most part.
It has been to Moab & to the Rubicon.
Was towed to Moab, but driven to the Con & driven home.
With the 16V it works great. (Thanks TT)
At the time I built it TT was the only one doing a 16V conv.
Mine was one of the first (if not the first) OBD2's done.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What does DD means to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

In refrencing to THIS board a "D.D." in my position is my white sami which I can drive daily to and from work, do thing I need to do in it, and possibly take it on longer trips as well as take it on an off-road trip(if I ever have time again.)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It has space to haul my wife, my kid(s) and myself

[/ QUOTE ]
Once again, on THIS board, my thoughts are that is just the family go getter vehicle. On another board, that may be the "D.D."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A daily driver?

Something that gets one from point A to Point B and back safely and reliably.

Everything else is a bonus.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 09:05 PM

DougO - I see your point. On this board we talk ZUKES. If you don't have a zuke DD we don't care and don't wanna hear about it. And for a while there I thought you was going soft on us [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 11:08 PM

I agree with Ack that a daily driver is simply reliable transportation from A to B. All the other is either bonus or liability. Having a nice vehicle you have to wash often is a liablity to me, as is the payment, insurance, taxes, etc just to run around town and to work in. With my DD I don't worry about door dings, fresh asphalt, etc. I only wash it three or four times a year and have never waxed it. I could care less about impressing anybody with my car! But I do like having all the goodies on our road trip vehicle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode