Flash Retina 101 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Flash Retina 101

Ok so yesterday evening I decided to start taching my dune buggy chassis together. So I started taching stuff together, everything seeming fine. I go to walk into my house to grab my phone and call Corey, and I noticed the air seemed foggy. So that of course was my first warning. By the time Corey shows up I was tearing more than after watching a John Kerry campaign speech. What scared me was the fact that I've never heard of it effecting you that fast, usually you go to sleep and wake up in extreme pain. So I take a shower, and start the milk in the eyes process (shaved potatoes over the eyes helps to). About an hour later I started to feel fine, so I relaxed a little bit and even felt up to speed enough to stop by a friends house. After falling asleep in no mis-comfort I felt confident I just got lucky, jesus was I ever so wrong. I wake up at 2:30 in the morning with such unbearable pain, that if I had to decide between the pain or my eyes, I wouldnt be able to see right now. The pain was so bad I had to hang my head off the edge of my bed face down to let the tears roll onto the ground. I woke up the next morning feeling a lot better, but could still tell the pain was there. So I decided to finally throw the towel in and take a trip to the E.R. If nothing else find out if any damage is permanent. They numbed my eyes, then dyed my eyes to scope them. After looking at the for 5 minutes this puzzling look came over her face, my heart must have dropped because I got very f'n cold. She told me that she is rating it a 6 our of 10, 10 being so painful your nose starts bleeding. Also after all her years of study I was one of a handful of patients that lasted through one night with anything above a 6 (which she almost rated a 7). Nothing to be proud of, but at the same token not all my fault. I was always told when the blisters on your retinas are fresh they can not to much to eaze the pain in fear they can cause permanent damage from external touch etc. Flashing your Retina's can be done even with your eyes shut, and even with a mask on, but its a rare chance. I've flashed them enough to blind myself for a few seconds before, but it takes it juuuust right for it to enter the eye ball and flash back to burn the retina. They always say it should take one time for you to get cocky and get flashed for you to learn your lesson, I most certainly did. Wear a helmet, even if taching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Flash Retina 101

Aliitle over a yr ago I guess when i had my first retina flash burns same syptoms.. I hurts like hell..had dark glasses on for a month and Now welding for a quite awhile which sucked cause my welds are generaly pretty clean, my partner welded for that time and his suck they wont brake but he is a booger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Ya I will say it hurt enough for me to never forget, luckily I'm still seeing 20/20, but still something I will never forget! I must have gotten to cocky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

They got me on 20mg loratabs lol. And antibiotics which is like puting neosporin on your eyes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I know your pain all to well . Mine have been burnt so bad I have cloudy spots in my vision now , permenantly . Then , to top it off just 1 week after a good torching I got a peice of dirt rammed into the right one with enough force to penetrate a contact lense and go through the cornea . I was at work out of state and after 8 hrs at home that weekend I had my weekend interrupted by a visit to the ER . I had gotten the dirt out , but didn't notice the hole in the contact and just put it back in before I drove the 6hr trip home . By the time I got home and went to bed the infection got started but good . Spent every single day for over a month going to an Opthamologist and paying him to wipe my eye with some damned litmus paper and using a scope to monitor the damage . That eye has healed up pretty well after almost 15yrs . Still very light sensitive and my vision isn't very good but I get along . I hardly go shooting anymore since it just pisses me off as I used to be very good . With recent safety pushes by the Union in our workplaces ,you can bet I'm the last one to complain when it comes to safety eyewear and such . If my welding helmet lenses even look scratched or worn , they get replaced immediately .
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Ya I will definitely not forget this sarge. I think I'll be taching with a helmet for the next year before I even consider anything else, even to then I'll probably get those level 7 sun glasses and STILL close my eyes when taching. I'm a firm believer in once you get hit with it you'll always regret it and I'm only on 2 days as of now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode