a part or ideas needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

a part or ideas needed

i am in need of the fuel pump bracket assembly that holds the efi fuel pump in a efi samurai tank. mine is rusted to $hit and the tracker bracket assembly doesn't fit very well.

auto zone claims to need $514 for the assembly and suzuki was nearly $600!!!! at $514 i would have nearly 5X the money into this zuk as i paid for it. i do not need the pump, just the darn bracket assembly.

does anyone know of another bracket assmbly that would work instead without cutting and welding gas tanks? maybe i should just build my own bracket assembly....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: a part or ideas needed

ttt for the night crew
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 06:38 PM
Old Hand

did you try hawk or suzuki john?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

no i have not tried hawk or zukijohn. i am not able to call during bussiness hours during the week except for friday afternoons due to my job. this is why i checked with the parts stores and online. to get the bracket, everyone tells me i have to buy the entire fuel pump assembly which also includes a spendy pump, which i already have.

i did some searches online and the cheapest i can find a usable used pump bracket is for $125, and that was here in my own state of minnesota which means it will be rusty.

this is one of the reasons i absolutely hate efi on samurais, the efi parts cost more than about 5-10 whole samurais?!? suzuki of america wanted $750 for one throttle position sensor for a 89 swift gti with an auto trans. what the hell does suzuki think....that their lousy parts are worth more than gold??

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 09:44 PM

I've just been through the same thing. The outlet line from the top of the pump bracket on my Samurai EFI tank was broken off and brazed back in place resulting in total blockage of the fuel line. The outlet fuel line is intergrated into the fuel pump bracket.
After searching the local salvage yards without results for a while , I ended up using a tracker pump.

It wasn't that hard to adapt the tracker pump w/ bracket to fit into a EFI Samurai tank.
1) the pump bracket gets lengthened by 1 1/4". I had the samurai's bracket to use as a reference along side the Tracker bracket.
I cut the fuel pump bracket in half and rivited a piece of SS metal in to place (after allowing for the 1 1/4" gap). You'll need to lengthen the short piece of fuel hose on the pump. Also the wire(s) for the pump will need to be lengthened.

2) Use the gas tank gasket from the samurai's bracket on the trackers bracket. It has an "O"ring like lip that helps center the pump on the tank opening.

3) Half of the bolt holes on the tracker bracket will line up on the sammi's efi tank. Use the gasket (from the Samurai..should already be in place) as a pattern for drilling out the remaining holes. Drill the extra holes in the bracket NOT the tank.

4) on mine, I had to "clock" the pump bracket slightly to get the pump's pre-filter to fit correctly in the tank. I simpley grabed the top with one hand and the bracket bottom with the other and twisted the bracket a few degrees. It will make sense when your looking at it.

I don't have any pictures. Wish I had taken some. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
The tracker pump cost me $20 and the rest was labor.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks for that great info whazoo.

i have both the deteriorated efi samurai pump bracket and a like new tracker pump and bracket. i can compare side by side like you suggested.

i also noticed that the tracker bracket did not fit with the pre-filter in the sammy tank.

when i get a few spare minutes this weekend i am gonna follow your instructions and see if i can get it to work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 07:18 AM

Can you swap to an external pump and a carby pickup?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 01:44 PM

Whazoo, you are a awsome resource for zuk info...now if you could only fix your avatar! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Oz
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

the reason i would prefer to use an in-tank pump over an external is protection and noise.

the pump in the tank is less likely to get damaged than an exterbal. in tank pumps are quite a bit quieter than externals as well.

i used to have a ton of those ford high pressure in-line fuel pumps but i sold them all when i went back to carbs a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode