Low oil pressure???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Low oil pressure????

I finally got around to putting an oil pressure gauge in my Zuk. It is an Autogage brand (made by <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,520276);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(520276);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,520276);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(520276);">Auto</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> Meter). The problem is when engine is cold it shows around 60-65psi at startup......as I drive and engine warms up I can watch it gradually fall down to 25-27psi @ 3000rpm and about 10-12psi at idle when warm......This seems really low considering the engine only has like 17,000 miles on it (SumoII from Asian Auto) . If I remember right my old wore out engine with a cheapo Walmart gauge would show around 50psi at around the same rpm's. I am running 5w-30 oil ,so I know it is pretty thin,but that is what I ran in my old engine too. I do notice that my new gauge makes a slight ticking noise...is this normal??? I got it off Ebay so it has crossed my mind that maybe it just isnt reading right. I also noticed when I was screwing the metric adaptor (got it from Sarge) into the block that it went in alot farther than the factory oil sending unit.....could this somehow restict the flow some??? I was do an oil change so even did that hoping it would help some,but didnt do a whole lot better with fresh oil...maybe a few more psi but not much.

Not sure if any of this has to do with my problems but I am shooting in the dark trying to justify why my oil pressure seems so low...I figured the new engine would push atleast 50psi or more.....and it shouldnt have enough wear on the bearings to not hold pressure (I hope) [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Any suggestions??????????

southpawz-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:29 PM

Re: Low oil pressure????

A lot of people mistake oil pressure for oil volume. Pressure is the speed at which oil moves around in your engine. Volume is the amount of oil that moves around. You can have good oil pressure but have poor oil flow inside your engine. Blocked oil galleries keep oil pressure high (sometimes higher than normal) but your engine still dies of oil starvation. Higher than normal oil pressure can cause seals and gaskets to leak prematurely. Oil pressure is an indication of main bearing condition and oil pump condition, but it by no means indicates a healthy engine or garantees that your engine is well protected.

IMHO: 10+ PSI at Idle is about normal. 30+PSI at 3000RPM is about normal, with a warm engine.

Cold oil is harder to pump, therefore, you create higher oil pressure when the engine is cold. Which in it's self is a perfect example of how oil pressure is great but the oil is not getting deilvered because it's so thick, causing damage. True synthetic oils (like AMSOIL, not MOBIL-1 which has petrolium based additives) are much better in colder weather because they are affected much less by heat and cold. In fact they flow so well at cold tempretures, that they can use oil filters that filter up to 1 micron even in the winter! Regular oil would blow the paper right out of it before the oil heated up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The general concensus around here is to run thicker oil than 5/30 in your engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info..

Here are the pressure readings I got today.....I was just estimating about what I thought they were when I first posted ,but I payed close attention to them today...

20-22psi @ 3000rpm

5-7psi @ idle (around 800rpm)

These pressures are after about 30 minutes of driving home from work...

Now this makes me worry a little more as they are lower than what I first thought when I posted [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I forgot to tell you to wrap that fitting with some Teflon tape . They do on some engines screw in quite far , also look inside the hole at the depth to the galley and see if it's indeed very shallow . Shouldn't be a problem , but you never know . BTW, general opinions on oil pressure is 10psi/1000revs . I really don't like using 5w30 oil in a Zuk due to pressure losses with hot oil . Engine temp also plays a large part , if you run yours at 195* or so , the pressure will be lower since the oil also runs much hotter . At 180*, you would see a fair difference . My rule is to check the temp of the head/valve cover and see how hot the oil is getting or use a probe inside the head . Also, don't be too alarmed by readings from those cheap guages , get a real Auto Meter and no more guessing ....
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Sarge....been awhile since I been on here much and havent talked to ya in awhile....the Weber/intake you setup for me is still running like a champ [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Now that I think about it I am running a 195* t-stat. I put it in last winter to help the "GREAT" heaters in these things out abit [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I will pull the fitting out and check the depth too....BTW I did use some teflon tape on it.

What weight oil would you suggest??? 10-30 ??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd start with the 10w30 and go from there . There is a chance that the bearings are just too far clearanced to hold decent pressure . All of the ones I've built carried very high pressure but we stayed very much on the "tight" side of tolerances . MOF, the GT engine would start at 100psi and drop to 65 or so cruising hot w/ 5w30 oil . If nothing else, you could add a GT pump to it and boost the pressure up , or swap out the metering spring....
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

I will try the 10w30 next oil change (just changed it a couple days ago)....I figured Dave would try to keep his tolerances pretty tight too on bearings and such,but anything is possible I guess.

I have noticed when I let off the gas going down the road the pressure will rise a couple psi even when tach shows the same rpm's. Is this normal?

I did take a good look in the oil filler hole and the top end seems to be getting plenty of oil,so oil flow seems good atleast.....I just want the best of both worlds I guess....pressure and good flow [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 08:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

"I have noticed when I let off the gas going down the road the pressure will rise a couple psi even when tach shows the same rpm's. Is this normal?"

No, that is very bad . If you can load the engine going down the road and make the pressure drop a bit , then let off and the pressure increases you have either a thrust or bearing issue in the crank . Put a dial indicator against the front of the crank center bolt and have someone push in the clutch , check the end play in the crank . If the radius edges on the main bearings are gone it can put stress against the oil pump and cause a pressure drop . My last engine started doing just that and did show some pretty nasty wear on the bearings . Most of it was just due to winding it a bit too hard (9,000+) . I'm not sure really if that freeplay will be that serious of an issue with these engines , some seem to have a high amount and still live a very long time ....
Sarge
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

It pretty much does the same thing when going up or down hills...I thought maybe it was just the oil running away from the pickup alittle .....it will drop 1-2psi up a hill and gain 1-2 down...I figured this was kinda what is happening when I let off the gas going down the road or maybe the slight gear resistance was forcing an increase in rpms for a second and not being noticed on the tach.

who would have thought putting an oil gauge in would cause so much worry [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode