home-rigged alternator plug - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Mr_DIY

home-rigged alternator plug

Hi, my 87 zuk didn't start this morning and I know it is the alternator (seller told me alt. was bad.) so I charged the battery and put the "good" alternator he gave me with the truck. the belt is tight and I mounted it properly. the problem is the green plug that goes in the back of the alt. was missing a wire and they were too short to splice in new ones. I went to my buddy's yard and pulled one off of a 16v efi alternator (tracker?). They look identical and I wired it color to color and cranked the truck my sensor light came on. so I thought maybe they changed them. so I switched the two wires and same thing. will not crank... even tried with the plug unplugged. no good. please help. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:08 PM

Re: home-rigged alternator plug

by would not crank do you mean the starter itself wouldnt even turn over?

I dont think the wireing of the alternator has anything to do with the starter circut.

First check your fuses do this by pulling each one and looking at it. (this would be a good time to put some dielectric greese on them. somtimes the fuses corode and dont make good contact.

If the starter isnt turning at all I would hook a wire up to the little tab on the starter. and another to the batt + have some one sit in the rig make shure it is in newtral parking brake on. then touch (or put a switch in there) the wire together the starter should turn over.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Mr_DIY

sorry, by crank I meant it won't start. it is turning over fine in all situations and ran before I put this alternator on. I think that the plug I used must be the "sensor" that has a problem. I'm gonna try something different in the am unless I get someone to confirm the plug is ok and I just need a good alternator. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 08:07 AM

the green plug behing the alternator can be unplugger and the engine will still start. The only thing it will do is that you will run on the battery. Your troubles is somewhere else :\

And you said that the light got on, but youre also saying that the engine wouldn start.. If you saw the light come on when your key was on the "on" position and the engine wasnt running. This is OK.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Mr_DIY

I see. I tested old alt. it was bad. I understand it's purpose now. the plug is good. something must have come loose. Now I don't have any dash lights (sensor, oil, brake. etc...) but the headlights work. Now that I think of it my horn is intermittent. Please keep the reply's coming. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 04:49 PM

a big guess:

When you changed the alt did you unplugged the battery ?
If so check is there is not a wire that you forgot to plug back.. otherwise well check the grounds.. check if you have voltage in the fusebox, etc..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Make sure the connection at the fusible link is good and clean , or not broken . Also, start cleaning up and replace all the grounds on the engine and at the firewall , then move to the interior under the dash . Bright and tight , as they say . Internal tooth lockwashers and dielectric grease are your friend with these vehicles, learn to use them liberally .... the Gremlins shall disappear .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode