16v transmission and flywheel question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

16v transmission and flywheel question

i'm doing a 1.6 16v swap, and i've read all kindsa posts about 2wd sidekick trannies and pro's and con's of the larger flywheel in the sidekick tranny. can't find much info on the 4x4 tranny in the sidekick.

what i have is a lwb sammi... i've got a full 4x4 sidekick donor truck with a 1.6 16v and a manual transmission.
i'm going with 33's and debating wether to go with:

a) 1.6, sidekick manual tranny, sidekick transfer case and samurai transfer case.
(will i still have to regear for 33's? and will the heavier flywheel be good for clipping along and doing mud)

b) 1.6, samurai tranny, samurai 4.16 transfercase gears
(lighter flywheel wind out easier for mud?)

c) 1.6, sammy tranny, sammy tranfercase, diff gears
(is this all i need to adjust for the 33's? and still get good pep?)

i'm mostly wondering about the flywheel weight issue and how it will affect my ability to climb hills fast and hit mud. do i want a heavier flywheel or lighter? if i go with sidekick transfer case do i even need the samurai one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:16 PM

Re: 16v transmission and flywheel question

to run 33 inch tires properly you will have to regear. me personally would love to do the kick tranny / tcase (kicker 3) conected to samurai t case.

I currently run 1600 16 v samurai tranny 4 to 1 t case gears and 4.56 axle gears with 33 inch tires. spedometer reads corect works well all around (mud, snow, sand, little bit of rocks )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

if i didn't go with the transfercase gears, what gearing would i need?
also, i know that the front diff gears in the kick will work in my sammy front, but will the rears interchange? what about just taking the whole rear end from the sidekick? i've got to remove the axle anywayz to weld on perches for the spoa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 11:47 AM

I have herd of people using the whole kick rear it has larger and better sealed bearings sealed both inner and outer plus the bearing seals them selves. samurai ones only have inner seals and the bearing seals. the kick rear is wider and the diff is centered. it also has a bunch of coil mounts and link mounts in the way.

there are vendors who sell the hybrid housings that use the kick rear gears (bigger than front or rear samurai gears) in a hybrid housing that alows you to use the samurai axles keeping the diff offset and proper width.

as far as axle only gears it depends on what you want to do. 4.56 axle gears (most auto trans 4x4 kicks had these) will gear you back to stock. 5.13 (most manual kicks) will gear you lower than stock but will limit top speed.

a 4 to 1 t case gear set (corect gearing in high for 28 inch tires) will work with 33 inch tires but will be hard on the clutch. off road it will probably be better than any axle gearing would be. a 5 to 1 t case gears (corect gearing in high for 31 inch tires)would be better on road but might depending on usage be too low for say backing out of mud in reverse. 6to 1 t case gears (corect gearing in high for 33 inch tires) would work well for on road but might be too low in low. depending on what you wheel in.

also the lower geared you go in the t case the more strain it puts on mounts, drivelines, u joints.

I have seen pix of where people have riped the brackets right off the frame.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

i plan on mostly running mud n' hills and messy stuff, not much for rocks around here, but i would like something that is as "all-around" as possible. as i will most likely use it to cruise with the top down on nice days!

what do you think my best option is?

sammy tranny and t-case?

or sidekick manual tranny and t-case and maybe even sammi t-case behind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode