Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   Need some help guys. (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/200348-need-some-help-guys.html)

Duleau 10-20-2004 01:56 PM

Need some help guys.

I own a 87 sammi and since i had bought it i was haveing choke problems.

So i bought a pony carb and dremmeled out the dome and spacer to about the same size as the pony.I also installed a tube with a cone K-N filter.

It was running good exept when the secondaries came on it would stumble after 4000 rpm.

Found out i had a leak around the base of the carb by spraying carb cleaner around it.

Then one day it stopped idleing so i took the carb apart and cleaned it and ever jet i could find.(Thank god for that pony exploded diagram i found on here or i would have never found out where to put that little check ball).

Now i'm getting a high idle 1700 rpm,lot of stumbling (poom poom sound)and when i rev it up it seems to backfire through the air filter and i get black smoke and a lot off black soot out of the muffler.And after a test drive it would still bog out after 4000 rpm if the secondaries were on.Just for fun i took off my air filter(yes it's CLEAN) and it stopped bogging at 4000 rpm,but still ran like crap at idle.Also it seems very hard on gas lately.

I've tryed to ajust the screws on the carb but would not get much better.

Any ideas

Thanks Steven

Duleau 10-21-2004 11:39 AM

Re: Need some help guys.

Awww c,mon guys (Daxe,Sarge,Toyguy,Tazzuki) i need my zuk for monday morning and would like to fix it myself instead of spending 100.00 bucks or more at the garage.I did the search thing but can't seem to find something simialar to my problem.

High idle seems like a air leak but i've sprayed all my vacuum hoses and around the carb head gasket maybe???

Black smoke when reving it from what i've read is to rich (to much gas ???) might explain why my gas mileage sucks.

Not enough air???? run good at full trottle without air filter and stumbles with it.

Where should i start??

**DONOTDELETE** 10-21-2004 07:16 PM

I would say you are running too rich and your float might be set incorrectly so fuel is spilling over the bowl. timing could be off. Start there and report back

Duleau 10-25-2004 11:38 AM

I just put in new cap,rotor,wires,sparks,vacuum hoses got it timed checked the float and geuss what still no good.

It is still running rough has a 1500 rpm idle and has bubbles in the float window when i give it gas.Still stumbles at WOT over 4000 rpm.Also only getting around 16 MPG.

Got out the carb cleaner and started spraying real good around the carb and found the culbrit i think.

It is leaking at the shaft that comes out of the carb that has the idle ajust on it.

Is there any way to fix this or do i need another pony???

supazuk 10-25-2004 03:30 PM

sounds to me like a coil or a poor ground .. most "bad carbs" are really poor ignition.

szki272 10-25-2004 05:49 PM

check your timing with a timing light. if it is off and you havent messed with the timing then either your vacume advance is off(conected to a wrong port ?) ,or your timing belt has slipped.

daxe 10-25-2004 07:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It is leaking at the shaft that comes out of the carb that has the idle ajust on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told by someone who knows about carbs (I dont claim to be one of those poeple, but thanks for thinking that) that this bad seal around the shafts thing affects ponys. since they are relatively cheap/simple carbs, nto meant to be rebuilt, there is no good way to restore a seal around the shaft.

I would listen to what these other guys are saying though...a little vac leak like that shouldnt mess things up as bad as you describe, I dont think.

I recall one thing from my pony carb experiences. they will look as clean as a whistle but one little piece of dirt stuck in the wrong place will foul everything up. If you ahvent taken it apart and cleaned it to within an inch of its life, then do it!

~daxe

-Shawn- 10-26-2004 12:16 AM

Uncap your bowl vent tube? [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Duleau 10-29-2004 10:21 AM

I been deer hunting all week and had not been able to work on my sammi.

Shawn can you explain were is the bowl vent cap is ??

I found someone with a spare coil so i'm going to try that out to.The zuk was timed with a timing light.

Sarge i took the top off the carb and blasted everything with carb cleaner also blew air into ever jet i could take out.

Going to do the ground octopus this weekend 2.

Thanks

Duleau 11-02-2004 09:40 AM

I've taken the carb apart AGAIN and cleaned everything.I've grounded the frame,body and motor to the battery.I took out a coil from a friend's zuk that is running good and it did not change anything.And i got it timed with a timing light.

Right now i'm pretty much stumped all that i have left to check is if the timing belt has slipped.Which i'm going to do this afternoon.I,m also going to take some pics of where my vacuum tubes are placed on the carb.

Right now i'm still getting a high idle(2000 rpm) and it run rough and does not have much power compared to before.

I'm getting maybe 5-6 hours of slow driving (5mph) for a full tank of gas.Before i could run that way for 12 hours and still have 1/4 tank when i got home.

If i stall it going through a ditch or something when i start it up an a lot of black smoke comes out something like a diesel.

Check the oil and is not over the level and does not smell like gas.
Where is all this gas going?

When running idle i get a couple of bubbles in the float sight window but when i rev it i get alot.

The head mecanic at the local <nobr>suzuki</nobr> said i'm not getting anough air.

Could someone post some pics of how they have set up there vacuum lines on there pony.

Thanks