Anybody have a D60 rear on their zook? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:29 AM
jackb1

Anybody have a D60 rear on their zook?

I just picked up a D60 rear for my zook and would like to talk to someone else who has one. Before I go through the pain of shortening the axle and changing it to disks, I'd like to get a little perspective on the unsprung weight issue -or any input. I know it is debatable on how much unsprung weight is good, especially off-road (which this vehicle is 99% used for), but it would be nice to get a real world view from someone with a heavy axle in their suzuki. I'm not trying to start a debate on weight or choice of axles, just want to hear from someone who may have done this or something close. I have a 4.3L chev and am geared down via SM420, Dana 300 Tcase and 4.10 gears.

If anybody has a similar setup and can offer some helpful advice before I start cutting and grinding, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Veteran

Re: Anybody have a D60 rear on their zook?

CTBrent is putting a 60 behind his junk, I don't know how far along it is but I'm sure he'll chime in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Mine started out 30 spline D60. Now it is a 35 spline with a spool and 5.38's. With the drums it was about 58# heavier. It'll cut (at least) 50 lbs off running disks. Still the thing is really heavy complete (it takes a healthy boy to carry it alone). Depending on the tire size you're running the problem might not be weight but clearance. I am running 39.5's which will put me somewhere close to what a yota'd have with 35's (minutely higher probably). If I were running a shorter tire I'd go with a different axle set-up.

What are you doing in front? That should be taken into consideration too. Also driveshafts need to be considered.

Easily I have more invested into a d44 front and a 60 rear than a complete mild sammy could cost and sadly I'm not done. I haven't shortened or narrowed anything either, that is what H1 rims are for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I am running 39.5's which will put me somewhere close to what a yota'd have with 35's (minutely higher probably).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Brent not to be sarcastic but whats the point then?

Give me a good answer lad!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:14 PM
jackb1

My D60 is an early 70s chevy with nothing done to it that wasn't from the factory. I just picked it up Saturday and want to get started on it but also don't want to do something in my eagerness to get started that I'll end up changing later. I'm planning on running 37s, so I debated going toyota or dana, but with the dana 300 case, I decided to keep my driveshaft with the same style joints at both ends. I was really only looking for a D44, but I got a pair of 4.10 geared 8 bolt D60 rear, D44 front chevy axles and a spare 3.54 6 bolt D44 front assembly for $100. It made my decision easier.

How wide are your axles wms to wms? I think I'm about 65 rear, 67 front. I want to narrow because it just seems way too wide. I'm in PA and the samurai has always been nice because it will squeeze through such small places. I was going to narrow to around 56". I was thinking on cutting down only the long side of the front axle and making the rear to match.

Cutting down may not happen though. I'm a self taught fabricator and don't know if I'm quite up to that chapter yet. Either way, my biggest concern isn't width or clearance, but weight. How do you like wheeling with that big thing hanging behind you? My samurai hasn't seen the light of day for better than 6 months since before I decided on my current drivetrain (grenaded a clutch and end up replacing the engine, transmission, tcase and axles, go figure) so I'm not even sure what to expect with the new weight of the rest of the running gear. Basically, I'm a few grand into this project and starting to get concerned that my motto "overkill is cool" might be becoming overkill. Ironic.

Sorry about the very long post. In a nutshell, do you like the D60, or should I use it as a for sale item and get a D44?

Thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Unfortunately clearance may be my weakest suit and I can happily deal with that. I could be wrong about the yota/dana comparison, as far as clearence height I was just estimating low. I hope it is higher but who knows? I think I will have several benefits running this way that out-weigh the loss of clearance.

-BEEF, The way my axles are set up, they will take a serious pounding before they break, dent, bend. The gears are 5.38's and are still tough/thick enough to handle the size tire. That isn't the case with a 5.29. Not saying the 5.29 is weak but there is less material on it and I am looking for BEEF.

-I am spooled F&amp;R and can do that without worry. Warn's &amp; CTM's up front. After all the research I am pretty confident about that package with what I am running.

-Longevity, as I might not have a Zook based rig forever my progression will probably be something with more power so I'd have to upgrade from built Yotas anyway.

-I like researching and building things new-to-me.

-As long as I am moving when I am wheeling I don't care about dragging the axles over rocks. That is what BTF diff covers are for.

-That difference in clearance doesn't matter to me. I'm going to drive it to the max. Hopefully my driving-skill level will be high enough to navigate my rig through whatever.

-a 39.5 is pretty much MAXING out a Yota axle and I couldn't justify stretching my WB as much without bigger meats. High centering sucks much worse in my book. If a diff is dragging there are tires somewhere nearby.

-I'm not a fan of birfs and although anything can break I have buddies that run Warn/CTM combo's much harder than I ever will and they take it. (They race stadium and tuff trucks)

-If it becomes a problem at all I can shave the rear quite a bit.

-I scored a deal on 2 sets of 3/4 Dana axles. Probably for less than I could have gotten yotas for considering all the parts (disks/bearings/etc..) that came with them new in the boxes.

-Don't Dana axles look cool? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm going for a 12 mile run, if I think of anything else... I'll comment. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Find a Scout front 44 and swap your outers. You'll have to rotate the knuckles too but it beats shortening it. You'll be about 4" and change narrower in front.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Veteran

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm going for a 12 mile run

[/ QUOTE ] What the hell? Drive, it's quicker and easier [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:34 PM

my rear
d60-2
5 on 5.5
35 spline, 60" WMS to WMS

it hangs LOW!

it works good for me. i was breaking rear scout 44 splines
then my HP d44 front
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:36 PM

just a thought though, my rig is aproaching HEAVY PIG weights. my weight does hurt me some, i am no longer the "its a zuk, its light" wheeling happening with me.
between the full exo cage, thos eaxles, 5 38" boggers or sx's w/beadlocks my rig is tiping the scales at 3,700lbs
and i still run a 1.6L.....
my axles are a tad on the thick side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode