Power steering for Samuri - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Power steering for Samuri

I have looked and looked for power steering posts and to no direct help I thought I would just post my own. I NEED power steering because Im locked front and rear with spools and Im runnin 33" swamper TSL SX's. My question's are do you guys know of a direct bolt in Power steering setup or close to one, and do I have to go with a high steer setup as well becaus of the SPOA setup? any info would be great and any parts ya'll might have would be awsome. Thanks
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Re: Power steering for Samuri

Get a track/kick setup and call calmini for the install kit. thats the easiest install. Petroworks I believe has their own kit also. I am running a Toyota IFS setup, all fab work, no bolt in here, but very stout. Just be sure to get a p/s cooler, ask me how I know that one [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 08:55 AM

You will NOT be satisfied with Track/Kick power steering running your current setup. I just installed about 2 weeks ago and it can't handle the abuse. I run 35 Boggers and a lockrite in the front and it offers very little benefit. After about an hour of hard wheeling it gets too hot and serves no purpose. Get up with RRO and get their Toy setup, you will be much better off. I will be installing toy stuff over the winter without a doubt. Maybe even a little hydro assist [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 AM

Trail Tough out of the box.

Trail Tough steering components

Have a look.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:13 PM

unfortunately with a front spool you are going to need a real agresive steering system. you will also probably be replacing alot of birfields as well.(unless you have swaped axles) you are probably going to need a toyota independant suspension steering box, a toyota pump or a gm pump (or aftermarket equivilant) I dont know of anyone making mounting brackets for the toyota box can use 4x4 or 4x2. (RRO uses toyota car steering boxesand pumps Pumps for the kit:
Toyota Celica '78-81
(Pumps up to 05/81, 06/81+ pumps will not work)
The steering box can be off of the following vehicles:
Toyota Celica '78-81
Toyota Corona '78-81
Toyota Cressida '78-81
<font color="red"> scavenger hunt anyone? the box was only made for 3 years?</font color> ) spidertrax builds a gm pump mount.

as a note the kick steering setup does work but it is weak I run the kick steup with 33x12.5 tires no locker in the front it will barely turn the tires at street pressures without forward movement. I dont rock crawl and offroad it seems adequate. I dont honestly know the miles or true condition of my box and pump since it is used. I wont swap it for anything else on this rig because it fits the space available properly. I run both ac and powersteering on a 1600 16v.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 01:06 PM

I have the Yota Celica setup and I run 33x14.5 Boggers and it works great. Just about all I do is slow rock crawlin and the pump seems to work well with my setup. I have a powersteering cooler as well and it has never failed me.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 02:04 PM
GRW

You listed: Toyota Cressida '78-81.
What about an 84 Cressida?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 02:47 PM

that was a cut and paste off RRO websight the years of toyota car boxes

be aware that the truck bux does require the removal and fabrication of a new drivers mount for the front wrap but the boxes are on (I think) 87 (or the year they went independant front suspension) till curent trucks and 4 runners as well as 2 wd trucks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I think im gonna go with the RRO setup, im all about beefy power without whoops's and ohh crap's when I roll or Acci-dently hit somthing on purpose... but I wonder why the kit for A/C setup is cheeper than the one without A/C? $219.00 non a/c $169.00 a/c equipped.. do you think the non a/c needs another bracket or somthing? [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 07:19 PM

the non ac has another idler pulley that mounts where the ac would normally be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode