DocZook's Samurai (Pics) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

DocZook\'s Samurai (Pics)

Hi All, I just got some pics of my Sammy and wanted to post them for those who wanted to see it. There is still alot more to be done, but this is where it's at for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 04:44 PM

Re: DocZook\'s Samurai (Pics)

Sweet !!!......Is that a ground FX wide body kit or did you fab that? I saw kits like that back in the day but I cant find them anymore. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

It is a fiberglass wide body kit called the "Miskito Kit" and I think it might have been available in Europe many years ago. It came with fat bumper covers too but I did'nt really like them.

The top is from Linecross LTD in England and looked real funky before I added the light bar, the theme here was to be able to blend in with a United Nations Food Convoy.

I'm still toying with ideas for bumpers, wheels and tires. Calmini dual tube rear maybe? 10 inch wide aluminum bead locks? swampers, baja claws, or boggers?
I think a 32 by 11 is all I can cram under there and I know I'll need 2 or 3 inches of back space. Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Journeyman

Awesome and unique...when the appocalypse hits, I'll be waiting on you to bring me a relief package...You'll need to gear down to run 32" tires...Is that a spring under lift? If so, it's the tallest spring under I've ever seen! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 08:13 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
......the theme here was to be able to blend in with a United Nations Food Convoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! Now THAT was good! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Electric Cat, Yep SPUA... The 3" Trail Master lift Springs and 1.5" shackles gave it a stiff ride at first, but swapping out the shocks to the soft valved red riders really helped the ride, It was very bouncy at first, but the weight of the recently installed heavy front tube bumper sort of dampered the bounce issue, and now I'm getting a great ride with only a little bounce.

I'm thinking the body kit sort of gives it a virtual lift effect in a way, since fender flairs are not needed.
32's would be the max, but I'll probably settle with
31 X 10.50's just to keep the clearence, but just the same I'd like to hear more about gearing down to run the 32's? Would a couple of 5:12 Tracker diffs do the trick?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Journeyman

5:12 ring and pinions would do the trick, unfortunately using Tracker/Sidekick diffs in the Sammy requires custom 'Hybrid' axle housings. There's at least one vendor that sells these hybrid housing for about $500.00 each. Most Sammy offroaders use lower gearing in the T-case, 32" tires would require 4:89 gears or lower. That costs about $600.00 total. Lower gears in the T-case adds stress to the U-joints, where as lower R and Ps does not. I can't afford lower gears yet, so I'm running 29" tall BFG All Terrains. Good luck, keep us posted!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 08:53 AM

You dont need a hybrid housing for gears .

If you use two track/kick front 3rd members then it is fairly inexpensive to regear .

The track/kick front differetial bolts in to the sammi front housing .

The second front differtial is take apart and swapped onto your sammi rear carrier . You will need an install kit for the rear to do it right . The kit includes a can and spacer to accomodate for the thinner ring gear . Some people dont use the kit and have good results though .

Now is a good time to add a rear locker to the carrier also .

I have an extra set of 5.12s ready to go with a locker in the rear ....

With all this said .The hybrid rear is nice , and gives you a larger ring gear . But it costs more .

I ran the 5.12s mentioned above for two years before I swapped to Ford 9" axles . I wanted 37s under my zuk and I had to upgrade axles to do it . The sami gears lived comfortably with the 33 mtrs I ran .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode