'Fozzy' lockers and 4 X-Gears in the differential. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

\'Fozzy\' lockers and 4 X-Gears in the differential.

I've researched the 'Fozzy' locker thing. This trick involves running two weld beads, 180 degrees apart on the differential side gears. This allows each of the side gears to rotate '100 and some degrees' relative to each other before it 'locks'. This play allows the differential to remain open on large radius turns, and improves driveability as compared to a welded diff or spool. It also allows the front hubs to be locked and unlocked without binding, according to what I read. It sounds cool! Except it won't work well with four X-gears, like the older Samurai, will it? If you have two X-gears, like the newer Sammy or a Heep, you get the full 100 plus degrees before the lock-up. With four X-gears, you'd get half or less than half as much differential action before the welds on the side gears hit the X-gears. Does this sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: \'Fozzy\' lockers and 4 X-Gears in the differential.

On 02/20/2004 there's a post about a soft-welded Samurai differential that uses four weld beads on the side gear instead of welding the side gears to the X-gears. This is not actually a 'Fozzy' locker. It does not look like you turn a 4 X-gear differential into a 'Fozzy' at all. Is this right? When I say X-gears, I mean spider gears.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 07:10 AM

Lead the stock Samurai carrier. It allows for a little bit more play than a spool or welding it and if you don't like it you can heat up the lead and pour it back out of the carrier. It does take a little bit of use for the rear to loosen up.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:12 AM

Try this article:
Fozzy Locker

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

That's the post I'm talking about...thanx for bringing it forward...I don't know how to do that...This article is title "Welded Differential for the Sammy". It is not a Fozzy at all, there is no differential action left over in this set-up. It's a non-rigid weld, so you have a little play in the axles to lock/unlock the hubs. A Fozzy is done with two spider gears and two weld beads on each side gear. Imagine the spider gears at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, the welds would be at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. You could leave one tire on the ground, and rotate the opposite tire almost 1/2 of a turn before the spiders hit the weld. When you drive the <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217917);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217917);">vehicle</nobr></a></nobr>, this slack allows for differential action, it allows one tire to move faster than the other one, like an open differential, until the radius of the turn your making in the vehicle is tight enough that the spiders hit the welds. I don't have any idea of how tight this radius would be. If a tire breaks traction, the Fozzy locks up after the tire slips 1/2 a turn relative to the other tire. The Fozzy seems like a really cool idea, but I don't know how they function in real life. They may clunk really bad. And it only works with two spider gears, not four.

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 12:48 PM

Sorry if that didn't help you. I'm pretty sure that this is what's reffered to as a Fozzy because the gears aren't welded solid and there is a small amount of movement allowed, the only difference being the four side gears as opposed to only two in other applications.
FWIW, this site was sent to me as a link marked as a "Fozzy Locker" several months ago.
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode