having problems installing holley carb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 05:50 PM
jeepsux

having problems installing holley carb

I bought a holley carb that I was told was just like a weber. I bought a weber adapter plate and it bolted right on. I think I Have vacuum line problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: having problems installing holley carb

Which Holley? 7448 or 4412? The 500cfm carb will probably be way too much carb for a zook. The 350 cfm might work, but I'm sure rejetting will be needed.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:08 PM

If he was told it was just like a weber, it's probably a Holly-Weber. It's a weber designed, Holly/motocraft built carb commonly used on 4 and small V6's priore to the mass conversions to FI. Slightly smaller than the typical Weber. same bolt pattern.

As for your problems JS, can you expound on what the symptoms are? its a bit difficult to offer sugestions with what you have given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Journeyman

I have one of these carbs, mine's a Holley 5200. It uses a lot of parts from the Weber 32/36 DVG, like the gaskets, power valve, and I think the needle, seat, and float. The air horn is not the same, and Weber air cleaners or adaptors will not fit without modification. The carb is rated at 280 cfm; that's 20 cfm less than the Weber 32/36. This carb uses Holley jets and does not have emulsion tubes, or tunable idle jet circuit like the Weber. It was not made by Motorcraft, it was sold by Holley as a conversion carb for imports. It even has "Manufactured by Holley under Liscense from Weber, Italy" cast into the bottom of the fuel bowl. It's a simplified, cheaper version of the Weber, but I ran it for years on a water cooled 1.5 liter VW and it really performed well. I'm building a manifold to run it on my Sammy, after a rebuild.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Journeyman

Couple of other things I thought of...my Haynes Holley rebuild manual has a complete chapter on this carb...Mr. Gasket still makes a nice 9" 0r 10" open element air cleaner for the Holley/Weber, $40.00, I bought one. I'm adapting the VW adaptor plates to a 1.3 TBI intake, with much modification. I'm also building a custom air lid to use the original Sammy air box. I bought a Weber adaptor to go between carb and the original air lid, but it does not fit the carb (too big), it's too tall to fit under the hood, and the air opening in the adaptor is too small for max air flow. Someday I'll have a digital camera.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 10:03 AM

BigElecCat, That carb was built by both Holly and motocraft under licence. Ford used them
extensivly through out the 70's and probably into the 80's on 2000, 2300 and V6 engines,
commonly in Pinto's, Mustang II's, Capri's and the like. GM used the Holly-Webers also.

I havent had an actual holly built 5200, but the dozon or so Ford take off's I have used over the
years all had emulsion tubes and all used the Weber jets, I used to go to the local weber dist where I
could get different tubes and jets. I've had these on a couple of my 289's using a 90 deg adaptor
off of the V6 engines and a home built plate, as well as a 200 CID in line ford 6 that was a real
sleeper, again a home built 1-2 bbl adaptor. All worked very well, although the 289 needs a bigger
carb, I have a 32-36 on my Ranchero's 289 now and it does very well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 07:02 PM

outlaw, my bro has one of those sleeper 200 cid inline 6 ford engines in his 1966 fairlaine 500. it has a 3 on the tree and burns tires like no other. it also shoots fire out the tail pipe when wrapped out hard and then let off the throttle. indeed a real sleeper.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Journeyman

20 some years ago, a high school friend of mine inherited his grandmother's '57 Ford 4-door, six banger, with a 3 on the tree. I razzed him and said this car would never peel out. He proceeded to melt the passenger side rear tire in the longest peel I've ever seen. It was over 200 feet long: 1st gear left a dark black patch about 20 feet long, 2nd gear left a lighter rubber mark well over a hundred feet long, 3rd gear left a patch that faded out after about 40 feet as the car finally gained traction. The BIZZARE part was that the tire kept spinning even when the clutch was engage for both shifts, it left short, lighter patches between gears. The car was engulfed in smoke and I about died from laughing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:34 AM

Wow that Fairlane is a heavy car too. This 200 was decked .040, raising the compression radically, had that weber, and we put in a crane cam, the only non racing cam available. It was in a 67 mustang, 3 on the floor as I recall, and would get something like 32 MPG on long trip, even at 75+ mph, and would run away and hide from about anything, off the line or top end. truely amazing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:36 AM

In line six's are well noted for good low end torque.

We probably need to get back to the original post though! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode