is there any real benefit to weld-on? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

is there any real benefit to weld-on?

I'm thinking about buying a 5" SPOA from rocky road and I wanna buy a bolt on cause I cant weld. Is there any reason aside from the cheaper price that a weld on is better. I figured bolt-on would be good cause If something happens to my sami, or the differentials or something. I could just unbolt the kit and put it on the next victim. But are bolt ons any stronger or more flexible or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Re: is there any real benefit to weld-on?

Oh yeah I frogot to ask, when I do the lift I want to put YJ springs in the back, and my backs in the front, I know a lot of you guys have done that, do the springs just fit right in or do you have to do some relocating of brackets? and since we're on the subject of springs, anyone use old man emu springs? How do those ride?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 12:49 PM

I've heard good and bad things to the bolton kits. Weldons do not get in the way by any means, you can just as easily swap the springs back down to the original perches. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable driving my truck down the street with bolted on perches, but different strokes for different folks. Yj's in the rear would require the YJ kit, and would also require you to get a spring for the front to match it ( a 2.5" lift spring). I think your referring to front CJ springs in the rear, if you are they bolt right in with the addition of a missing link shackle. The front can be matched with rear EMU (very good springs) springs or Rancho rear lift springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 02:25 PM

I wouldnt buy a bolt on kit, and I also wouldnt buy from Rocky Road. Check out www.trailtough.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My street rig has the RRO bolt-on kit on it. It came that way from the previous owner... I think that I am the first owner to ever seriously wheel this thing and it has been fine, no problems. I have put it through it's paces too. I am guessing it has been that way for years based on looks alone (SPOA that is). There may be a few spot wels hidden under the caked-on dirt but other than that it's all bolted up. What I do like about it is no ubolts...

Being one that does not like RRO's treatment, I have to say there stuff is pretty high quality... the stuff I have seen anyway. I have their GM alt bracket and it is the best on the market in my opinion. And, I have seen all of them; I think?

Based on the recent RRO discussions, RRO has pulled their collective heads out of their poopoo makers and have been treating people right... so if you aren't a welder or whatever... I'd say go for it...

I can't believe I typed that ^ take a look at the other vendors too though. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the bolt on and as far as CJ springs with a missing link, I heard missing links on the street are a little sketchy. and the old man emu springs are lifted, and I hear lifted springs flex less, less articulation. so I guess I'll end up with a plain spoa, with my stock springs for a little while. is the ott stearing upgrade worth it? anyone know?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My ML's weren't sketchy at all with ML's and CJ's, I did have to get used to it though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:55 PM
JCC

I could not weld either, and I bought the bolt-on from RRO. I have wheeled my Zuk for about a 18 months with no problems from the lift. I may add some new front shock mounts because my shocks hit the springs when I am flexed up. I also have the stage II over the top steering. It was a little more involved than I wanted to install. But the kit has been updated and I installed one on my father's Zuk a month ago and it is much easier to install now. JC
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Old Hand

you all left something out ..... bolt on kits will not work with yj's as the springs are wider then the sami's if you can't weld get the e-z weld bolt it all together and take it down to a muffler shop and have them run two beads thats all the RRO e-z welds need .. in fact I ran e-z welds for a year with out welding and i beat the thing ( I don't recormend this )
hope I helped ya
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah, I had figured it was a mistake since he said CJ in his later post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode