timing problems again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:02 AM
turbodrabbit

timing problems again

I finally got the 1.6 16 valve running. Timing is either 20 degress or nowhere near the marks on the indicator. It has a miss, for what i believe to be timing. I took the cover off the front last night. Took the belt off and did the timing for the belt at 4th cylinder tdc. Than i did the distributor at 1st cylinder tdc. It runs now but misses. We played with the timing on the distribtor, and the problem is not there. There are two marks on the cam pulley, I and E. Both have the little dimple that you are supposed to line up with the v mark. I lined it up on the e, because the keyway was facing down. And thats the way it was in the fsm pics that whazoo sent me through email. Could i have to take the belt back off and move it to the other mark I? I really need to get this done or no Gonzookin for me. Please help. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

Also this was a junkyard motor, and there was no obvious problems with the sidekick. There also was extra parts like a distributor in the back. My guess is they couldnt get it to run, thats why it ended up there. I didnt mess with any of this, so I have no idea how it supposed to go. The belt was out of wack when i took it out last night. the cam was at 12oclock and the crank was at 8oclock. It would only hickup before. So I am getting closer. I took a pic last night and the mark on top is E, the one I lined it up at. And the mark at 4 oclock is I. Could the keyway be in the wrong spot also?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1312440-cam pic.jpg (32.6 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 08:38 AM
turbodrabbit

Re: timing problems again

bump, come on guys, anyone have a fsm?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 AM

If you align the crank and the cam marks to the 12 o'clock positions as in the FSM, you'll be at TDC for cylinder #4.

Next, rotate the crank a full 360 clockwise all the way back to the alignment mark. The cam mark should now be at 6 o'clock. Now it is at cylinder #1 TDC.

2 crankshaft revolutions = 1 camshaft revolution

At this point you should align the distributor to the first cylinder (rotor contact should be pointing to the distributor hold down bolt).

You should now be in the ball park, needing only the fine tuning with a timing light.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Way Outta Control

"""It has a miss, for what i believe to be timing."""

A miss? Or just "runs terrible?"
A missfire is localized to just one or two cylinders, not all of them. If it's just one or two, then it is not timing. Plugs, wires, compression, injectors, vacuum leaks etc.

Since timing error - either cam or distributor - is common to ALL cylinders, ALL are affected the same.
You need to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode