Toy swap on a budget - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Toy swap on a budget

Just got done doing a swap for less than $300.
It was done off-site in a barn. Used stock samurai springs.

This will be done in our shop. Easy access to camera. YJ springs & power steering will be added at the same time. All for less than $500. All pics. will be posted & any info will be gladly shared.
Here's what we're starting with.
Front axle.

These are off an '85 4-runner. It was an auto & the gears in the axle are supposed to be lower than the 4.10 in most. Won't know for sure till they're busted open to be welded.

Brad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: Toy swap on a budget

The rear.

Anyone know what that lever that's hooked to the proportioning valve is for?

Oh, to start the meter, the axles cost $200 & the YJs were $75. The Toyota had never been off-road & you could tell, all the u-bolts & steering broke loose with a 3/8 ratchet. The YJs came off a '95 with 60K miles on them---all street.
The steering box, pump, & resovior all came from a '92 Toy---$30

Over the next few weeks I'l post the pics. of the install.

Brad.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 PM

I used a set of center sections from a '85 auto 4runner and they are 4.37. I'll be watching your posts cuz I'm into my toy swap for $1400 and I still need hy-steer($480) and rear spool installed and axle rebuild kit($300) It cost me a little more but everything will be new. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

$1400-----ouch!!

I've read lots of posts about how getting into the Toy axle swap always ends in a wad of $$$$. That's why I've never bothered--- poor, broke summabitch here. That is UNTIL I helped E do his swap a few weeks ago. The only cost was the axles themselves, misc. fluids, and a T-adapter for the brake lines. No hy-steer just yet. It'll come a little later. Most important thing is to get it mobile so we can ride. The only lockers we use are made by Lincoln & these axles are in almost perfect condition = no rebuild.

Just figured I'd start a post so if/when someone else is searching one day, they'll find out that it can be done for less than the samurai cost in the first place. I plan on getting detailed pics. as we go along and posting as much info as I possibly can. Lord knows when I've needed help there were always a few I could turn to here.

Gotta get in the garage to start cleaning the [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] mounts off & open them 3rds up to see if we've been blessed with those 4.37s. [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

Brad.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:08 PM
jimbo

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Anyone know what that lever that's hooked to the proportioning valve is for?

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't find it in the pic. had a datsun pick up truck that used a mechanical link to a valve as a load sensor. if the bed was empty the valve/link reduced the amount of rear brake to prevent lockup and conversely when the bed was loaded the valve would allow more braking.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I've read lots of posts about how getting into the Toy axle swap always ends in a wad of $$$$. That's why I've never bothered--- poor, broke summabitch here. That is UNTIL I helped E do his swap a few weeks ago. The only cost was the axles themselves, misc. fluids, and a T-adapter for the brake lines. No hy-steer just yet. It'll come a little later. Most important thing is to get it mobile so we can ride. The only lockers we use are made by <nobr>Lincoln</nobr> &amp; these axles are in almost perfect condition = no rebuild.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thought it would be alot cheaper when I scored the front axle and 2 center sections for $400 and got a rear axle minus the center section for a six pack [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
But after knuckle rebuild kit, bearings, EZ locker, spool, rotors, calipers, U-bolt flip kit, rear anti-wrap spring perches and 5 new 6 lug wheels it added up quickly. Which is also why my zuks been down for almost 2 years....cuz' I'm a broke SOB too! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 AM
turbodrabbit

I have never heard of those years having 4.37 gears. I know the automatics had 4.30's and the manuals had 4.10's. When you start getting into 90+ 4runners they also had 4.56 and 4.88's.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yea but it will all be worth it! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Just figured I'd do a little update. Haven't been working too hard on it, had to pack &amp; head to the Bonnaroo Festival last week. Just now recovering from that.

We got the front torn down &amp; welded up. Replaced both front axle seals ($9). Got all the mounts we don't need off &amp; flipped the drag link around.

Brad.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Doing the same to the rear. Welding, cleaning, &amp; painting.

Them there's 4.30 gears in the 3rds. Added bonus.

We're gonna pick the springs up this weekend &amp; start mocking up the mounts. More pics. later on.

Brad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode