Test Drive new Tow Bar Got a Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Test Drive new Tow Bar Got a Question

Hi All
Well I got my Going to Zukie Melt Tow Bar Done and test driven!! Went around town and out on the BIG road. Got it up to 60 and around town cutting corners etc> Did grate with one exception. When cutting a Very sharp corner as in doing a turnaround on a road or drive way the tires on the Zuk go all the way to the stops and won't come back or osculate back and forth. Only dose it at crawl speed when as I said cutting max sharp turn.
Going down the road and making normal turns it tracks straight with no wiggle and follows around turn just fine. Do you think I need to adjust my stops out a little? (Toy Axles)

It's sitting in the garage now with a fresh cote of paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 04:33 PM

Re: Test Drive new Tow Bar Got a Question

Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but is the hitch plugged into a receiver?

If it is, you may want to flip the hitch around so the ball sits higher. I found that if you tow with the tow bar parallel to the ground (or as close as possible), it will handle better.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

No~ Unfortunately not a receiver. I kinda wondered if the angle might Be bit much. I am going to add a overload leaf spring in the spring pack of the Jeep and that should bring it up so it's a closer match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 04:40 PM

If I'm not mistaken, don't you need the safty chain to go all the way to the towed rig? Maybe it varies state to state.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

UHHHHH I don't know for shure. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Guess I"ll have to check on that !
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On my sami with sami axles the tires would lock once in awhile (Like when at a drive through at McD's and when pulling a Uturn) other than that it was never a problem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Yep same thing happening to mine.
Hay I got another Question.
Can I just put the T/C and Transmision in nuteral and pull it that way or should I remove the Driveshaft??
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 08:55 PM

Pull the shaft. 4 bolts, no worries
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Man, you could tow a Terex dumptruck with that towbar!

Beefy!

I would rig some chains just in case Smokey spots you and decides to have a chat.

As to the wheels locking, I have never had that happen, but I make it a point to never get into a situation where I need to turn sharply or back up. I figure that either maneuver is not good to do.

I flat-towed my Samurai 945 miles round-trip for Melt '01 and Melt '03. I removed the rear driveshaft (keeping it in one piece -- that way I don't have to make sure that it is put back together properly), put everything in neutral and unlock the hubs.

-Ack
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 10:48 AM
zuksofhazzard

Hey Larry, I have towed mine out to Moab a few times and this is what I did. I have taken the rear driveshaft completely out and unlocked the hubs, and put the trans. and transfer case in neutral. I unhooked the battery and just turned the key on. I take a bungee cord and wrap it aroung the bottom of the steering wheel, and hook it to the brake pedal, at the bottom near the pad. The bungee cord provides a little resistance to help return the wheel to center. It will pull all day at highway speeds, I can go about anywhere I need to, just take it slow if it's a driveway or tight turn around. Don't expect to back the towed <nobr>vehicle</nobr> up, the wheel will turn and you will have to get out. I think it would be a good idea to try and bring the reciever up to get the towbar level too, and some safety chains just to please the law. Here is a good idea for the lights. I went to wally world and picked up a universal trailer light kit, and took a piece of tin and cut it large enough to mount the taillights, leave room for the licensce plate to fit. That way all I have to do is take the rear licensce plate off and bolt the lights and plate back on. The plate hardware holds both. Then just run the wiring through the interior and out a drain plug on the passenger floor outside then into the engine bay, then up to the front bumper. Hope this helps, Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode