Clutch problem...I think... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Clutch problem...I think...

well i actually got to drive the zuk last night. drove it down to the gas station and filled the tank with some fresh gas.

if i hold the brake and put the trans in first gear 2wd high range..and slowly let the clutch out. i get a clicking noise that sounds like gears not quite meshing.

the tranny doesnt hesitate..the noise does cause any stuttering or bucking....it is not a constent noise either. when im going through gears it does ok...i think i can hear it once in awhile when i shift but just cruising speed and idle its not there...

im thinking maybe throwout bearing. the tranny did not make this noise before i did the 1.6L swap..

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 08:10 AM
huggie99

Re: Clutch problem...I think...

sounds like the same sounds my boyfriend had in his sammy.. turned out to be the transfer case bearings... however it could be the throwout bearing on your clutch.. do you still have the noise in 4wd?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

not sure....sounds like its forward of the transfer case though

j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 12:50 PM

I would first pull the intermediate driveline out and check the U joints I have tried to check them with the shaft in but I was never able to tell how bad the u joints were one day it was realy bad and I finally pulled it to find thet all of the bearings and part of the cross was gone (even then it didnt make much noise and the vibes werent that bad)

OR exhaust manifold hitting the frame ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:08 PM

With the 1.6 adapter plate in there, you can have the clutch arm on the trany set up to actually push the throwout bearing out to far. Keep in mind, the trany splines are out of the Engine 1/4 inch or so from stock so you might have to adjust the arm.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:17 PM
huggie99

it sounded like that in ours too... almost sounded like it was coming from under the hood on the passanger side.. might want to drop the t-case and take a look [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

i dont think its the t-case...its just been rebuilt with new GRS2 gears...

i did readjust the clutch arm.....that may be whats going on...ill try that first tonight and give a report later in the evening...if that dont work....then its time for disassembly!!

thanks guys!

J
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 02:03 PM

I bet that's it...it's probably the most over looked thing with a 1.6 swap. Happened my first one...not a problem with the other 5.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Captain's Log
Stardate: 05282004

<font color="red"> **************************Classified Information*********************** </font color>

<font color="blue"> Damage Report: </font color>

Loud Clicking sound comming from transmission warp drive. Sounds like gears stripping at startup.

Found to be Catalytic Converter Case Vibrating against machine frame when warp thruster unit is under load.

<font color="blue"> Repair Report: </font color>

A ratchet tether was attached around the Exhaust chamber and the problematic piping was temporarily relocated 1" toward the starboard side of the ship. A B.F.H. was applied to the problematic Catalytic converter case and the outside flange was adjusted to clear the ship frame. the ratchet tether was then removed to allow free movement of the piping.

<font color="blue">Preventative Maintence: </font color>

A routine visual inspection at a later date should reveal if the catalytic converter case needs to be modified futher. Nothing else should be needed at this time unless noise persists in the future.

---End of Report
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Subspace Tranmission from Federation Maintenance Tender Steyr (NCC710M), Ack Dackerly, commanding

Stardate: 5282004.2123CDT

Subject: Maintenence Report received and filed.

Excellent report, Captain.

Advise your Engineering Exec. that his solution to this problem has been recorded in the Maintenence Database at Starbase ORC.

It is rare that such action did not result in the loss of a Redshirt before the end of Act 2 due to reversing the polarity on the aft input coupler.

Interrogatory: Did this problem have any connection to the use of Dodge mounts and the clearance difficulty with the heat exchanger clearance as mentioned in an earlier communication?

Ack Dackerly, CPT NCC710M
EOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode