6:1 transfer case comparison - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Addict

6:1 transfer case comparison

Howdy,
I'll be heading back to the states early next month and the first project on my list is Zuk#2. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

I'm trying to decide on which 6:1 transfer case to purchase. The ones I'm looking at are those offered by Roadless Gear, Rocky Road, and Calmini. (FYI, I'm not considering the Trail Tough version because it's hi-range is not low enough for the setup I want to run. Also, I am aware of the argument for changing both the r&p, and t-case.)

What I want to know are the pro and cons. Such as, which ones required case reliving and to what extent, noise levels, and personal experiences.

Roadless Gear: ($750), 6.1:1 low, 21% lower high, gears only

Rocky-Road: ($790), 6:1 low, 24% lower high range, gears, counter shaft, thrust washers, needle bearings

Calmini: ($795), 6.5:1 low, 20% lower high range, gears, counter shaft, thurst washer, needle bearings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 01:04 PM

Re: 6:1 transfer case comparison

Hey Jonathan! Glad to hear you'll be back soon. Where are you coming back to? I hope it's Bragg! We need more Zukers!

As for the cases I have driven and rode in both the Roadless geared and Rocky Road (I have this) and I don't think I could tell a difference in noise or smoothness of operation. If I remember correctly the Roadless gears are made in Aussie Land by Rockhopper and the RRO gears are made in England by a Formula 1 gear maker. Both are of excellent quality and work very well. The one advantage I see in the RRO gears is the hi range reduction. When I was on 33's it was PERFECT for them while running stock R&P. I really didn't get to drive the Roadless ones on the road above 45 to compare them though. I think either way you will be happy. Just buy the ones that are currently in stock at either manufacturer. I know I hate to wait on stuff and I am sure that you are too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 04:02 PM

hey gi_zuk,

The only t-case gears I can comment on are the 6.5 gears from calmini.

They required a slight grinding to the inside of the case that literally took like 10 seconds with a die grinder (very easy).

Quality seems fine but I have no other gears to compare them to.

They shipped when they said they would. Everything came as expected - no complaints.

On the street they make no more noise than the stock gears, or at least nothing I can hear over the tires.

I would buy them again if I was looking for 6.X gears, but now with RRO's 8:1 I would go that route (wish they were out when I was buying).

If you are crawling, go as deep as you can. My ideal t-case gear would be 10:1. I expect somebody will make them next year

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I'm heading back to Fort Sill. I was here on TDY, not PCS.

I'm not in any hurry for the t-case as I already have one Samurai built up somewhat. However, this Samurai is going to be a little more trail orientated but still street friendly.

This new case is for Samurai #2 which currently has all of its suspension removed and has been sitting on jackstands in my garage for the past 7 months. All that rust from the German winters really made the disassembly difficult and the project fell far behind schedule. I decided to just take my time though-do it right once.

The plans are for RUF and YJs in the rear, SPOA of course. A 6:1 t-case provides the gearing for 32" tires and motivation comes from the current 1600. The front will have an ez-locker and the rear will be open/spool.

The R&Ps will be kept stock for two reasons:

1. I have alot of spares. I think 6 or 7 extra diffs from various Samurai that I've parted out.

2. I plan on keeping the rear diff open for road worthyness and flat towing. Then when I go to Moab or another such event, I'll swap in a spooled diff. I figure with SJ410 plates the rear diff can be swapped in about an hour by one person.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 10:18 PM

you forgot one

trailtough($719) 6.4:1 low, 17% lower high
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GI zuk wrote:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(FYI, I'm not considering the Trail Tough version because it's hi-range is not low enough for the setup I want to run. Also, I am aware of the argument for changing both the r&amp;p, and t-case.)

[/ QUOTE ]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 03:12 PM

If you find all the technical factors equal on the
different brands of 6:1 T-case gear sets there is one other
factor to consider.The Calmini gears are made in the USA.
With all the manufacturing jobs going over seas it helps
our workers whenever you can buy American.And since the
Calmini product is priced competitively it doesn't hurt
your pocket book to do so.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Addict

That is a good point rollerskate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode