is my clutch sensor causing starting problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 12:35 PM
lightningd

is my clutch sensor causing starting problems

I have an 87 Sammy that has been difficult to get to start. When I push the clutch in to start, sometimes I just get a single "click",,,, the radio, clock and lights all work, battery is new.

I'm wondering if there is a clutch sensor that could be going bad. I know the clutch is getting kind of weak. But because it was bought as a first school car for my son, I really don't want to spend alot on it. (It looks good, already replaced the timing belt and cover. But doesn't have alot of power.)

Any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate the problem or what else could be causing this?

Thanks,

Doe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Old Hand

Re: is my clutch sensor causing starting problems

Do a search for "clicky starter fix". It's a common zuk problem & very easy fix. I believe everyone on this board makes a kit to fix this. You should have no problem picking one up----usually around $10-$15. Can't look through a page of E-bay without seeing like 30 of 'em.

You can undo the wires on the clutch pedal & hook them together to check it. Be careful though, it'll start without the clutch being pushed in. Just make sure it's in neutral.

Brad.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 01:02 PM
lightningd

I think I ruled out the sensor. Hooked the wires together, and still wouldn't start. Guess I gotta break down and buy a starter.
[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Was worth a try though!

Thanks,

Doe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 03:03 PM

maybe you just need a starter solenoid. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:00 PM

No idea why, two weeks ago my GF's Tracker did the same thing. Everything checked out ... strong solenoid click, good battery, no start. Banged on the starter, nothing. I double checked all the cables running to the starter and solenoid and it fired right up; worth a try anyway. I still have no idea what happened, but it's been fine since.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 11:15 PM
lightningd

Update....

Pulled the starter, went to the local (18 miles) Napa, had it tested,,, and I quote, "works better than good." Came home, put it back on, cleaned battery terminals, (again), wiped off oil (from where the kid forgot to put the oil cap back on), went ahead and changed oil and plugs because the hood was up and had the stuff anyway, (meanwhile finding the old oil cap that rode somehow on the backside of the motor for the last two weeks so now we have an extra!!) went back under the dash, re-connected a jumper to bypass the clutch switch, ...... and NOTHING!!!...But wait,,,, got mad, wiggled some wires under the dash, tried again....VAROOOOM!!!

So it's up and running again,,, I think it was just mad at me for something.

Doe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode