Mating a Tracker TCase with a Samurai T-Case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 01:21 PM
leswhitt

Mating a Tracker TCase with a Samurai T-Case

Anyone have any ideas or cheap ways to mate a Tracker and Samurai TCase? I have a spare Tracker case so I figured maybe I could reduce my gearing with a little engineering and ingenuity. I'm decent when it comes to welding and fabricating my own parts so that won't be an issue, I just thought I'd get a head start by asking y'all for ideas first.

I'm running a '89 Zuk with 33X10.50's on a 6.5" RRO SPOA. The axles are geared stock and when drving my truck, the term gutless comes to mind. I've put up with it for awhile, even driving it like this from MI to FL to DC to MI but I'm tired of drafting Semi's just to go 65. More importantly, I'd like to improve the off-road performance since that's why I lifted my truck in the first place.

Any ideas or comments are definitely appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Mating a Tracker TCase with a Samurai T-Case

The Kicker 3 is an option for mating a track/kick case and a sammy case. If you search around a bit and look up both here www.google.com (use as many key words as you can think of) and WildWeasel's site. Well it looks like I took a lot of the guess-work out of it... the info provided should give you some good reading.

Edit: Look up Zooky too... he has installed and runs it currently and has posted info about it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 03:09 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Look up Zooky too... he has installed and runs it currently and has posted info about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact Zooky commented on this very mod over the last couple of days:

OTT Kicker 3 (Married Track-Kick and Samurai Transfercases)

It's been discussed several other times here. Do a search and you'll find plenty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 03:20 PM

The axles are geared stock and when drving my truck, the term gutless comes to mind. I've put up with it for awhile, even driving it like this from MI to FL to DC to MI but I'm tired of drafting Semi's just to go 65. More importantly, I'd like to improve the off-road performance since that's why I lifted my truck in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that you will need to run a 1.6L engine from a Tracker or Sidekick, as well as the tranny if you want to use the Track-Kick transfercase.

Another thing to consider is that even if you find a way to use both transfercases, it won't reduce your high-end gearing at all, only your low end ratio when in low-low. You'll still have to draft semi's on the highway. What you need to do is one of the following, or a combination of these two suggestions:

1) Keep the stock transfercase and change your differential gear ratios for the desired highway performance you crave. You'll be happy at 65mph, but this will also make you slower off-road.

2) Get one of the transfercase reduction gears - there are a few to choose from these days. Not only do they offer better crawl ratios, but they also reduce the high gear output a certain percentage. Check out the many Suzuki vendors on the internet. The transfercase gears vary from 4.16:1 all the way to 8.0:1. They also vary in price.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 04:10 PM
leswhitt

I've seen the OTT (a bit out of my budget) but I'd rather see if someone has done it themself or have any ideas of how it could be done. I should have been more clear in my initial post and explained myself better...my apologies.

I looked at Zooky's postings and webpage but didn't see any specifics, merely pictures and a brief description of running the Kicker 3.

Also, if I were able to mate the two together, and ran the Sam T-case in high and the Track T-case in low, wouldn't that affect my highway speeds? One of the responses noted that it would only affect my trail speeds running in low-low but I don't understand why I couldn't run high-low.

I'm reluctant to change the R&amp;P's because currently I have two sets of spare axles and I like the swapability with the stock rear axle. The transfercase gears are a good option for me but I'd rather research the free option of combining transfercases first.

Hopefully I clarified my initial question a bit ... sorry for the lack of clearness on my part.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd rather see if someone has done it themself or have any ideas of how it could be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I posted WildWeasel's site. Click on it. There are even pics... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast

Good Luck on Getting the OTT guys to answer your emails. I've sent several asking to buy their product and never get a reply. I'm thinking they are a one man garage operation.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Good Luck on Getting the OTT guys to answer your emails. I've sent several asking to buy their product and never get a reply. I'm thinking they are a one man garage operation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny you say that... Currently I have been dealing with them. They still owe me my kicker 4 and high steer arms I ordered months ago READ MONTHS (over $750.00 worth). But I stopped emailing them and started calling. I never recieved an email back either. But I am betting email is probably the worst way since they get so many dreamers emailing them. Rick said he had about 2000 to go through last time I talked with him.

At first I was told Rick's arm was busted and he was attending it... this I believe is true. Then Ben told me the CNC was down FOR A MONTH. Gladly, I am not the only one needing them, there are other guys out there suffering the same fate as I am.

I bet Runion and Shaffer who probably don't pay get their stuff pronto (both are sponsored by OTT BTW).
Thing is, I think they are trying to rectify themselves which is the only reason I haven't piped up about it much. I am hoping they don't turn into a RRO for me.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 PM

Here is my dual t-case setup, unfortunately not tested yet

Tracker auto -> Tracker t-case -> Samourai t-case

http://www.xfaktor.net/Projects/Suzu...DualTCase.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

let us know how your project turns out, Xfactor,I too am in the process of finishing this setup into my LWB but instead of linking the intermediate shaft( kick driveshaft) at the U joint I just shortened the shaft.

originally I was gonna do what you did but got too much negative feedback about vibrations and stuff. but if your system works I just may do it your way on my next project.
g'luck!

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode