Help...Need proper ubolt size for a Toy front axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Help...Need proper ubolt size for a Toy front axle

I installed the Toy rear axle with no problems with the u-bolts provided by Brent from TT. I had to squeeze them a bit with C-Clamp but got everything installed. Now I'm putting in the front, I got it under the truck last night and when I banged the u-bolts on they spread pretty far and almost need to be bent to get them into the spring plate. Also the u-bolt that mounts closet to the pumpkin looks really short, I'd rather have it long and cut it down after. Any help would be appreciated. The Paragon crunch is on.

Koko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 09:36 AM

Re: Help...Need proper ubolt size for a Toy front axle

I got my u-bolts and top plates from the wrecking yard. They yare off of a full size Ford truck if I rememeber right. Anyway, just about anything off of an axle with the same diameter will work. The trouble is that if you use castor shims (and unless you cut and rotate the knuckles you really need to use shims) your u-bolts don't align with the holes in the top plates too well. You can off-set the centering pin hole whatever amount is required to compensate for the "drift" caused by the shims (the best idea) or you can tweak the u-bolts a little, oblong the wholes a little, and wrestle them into place (not the best idea, but that's the way I did it the first time around).

If you have an early axle (79/83) there is no truss in your way so it make the drivers side easier and you can use rounded bolts. On the passenger side inner u-bolt, you won't be able to tweak things much. I would see if your top plates are large enough so that you can put your u-bolts on like they want to go, place them over the bolts, locate where the cenetring pin needs to be, and drill a hole there (rather than in the center of the top plate). You will probably have to oblong the holes a little if you have shims, but that way works the best.

Clear as mud??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

One problem is that it is an 85 Toy axle. The passenger side (if I had a longer U-bolt) would mount no problem. The drivers side due to the truss is where I'm having a problem. Not to sound dumb, but what are the castor shims, where do I get them? Looks like I'm not going to make Paragon for Gonzukin. I took on a big project. I have minimal abilites. I actually jsut welded for the first time night. Looks like bird sh!te welds, but it was only a plate for top of the spring pad [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] PLus I'm in the process of looking/buying a house.... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Koko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:54 AM

I think Tuskers explaination is pretty good.

For my 83 axles I bought u-bolt plates and u-bolts from All-pro. The u-bolt closest to the diff is much longer and has a wider inside diameter to fit when the spring perch is modified (like with a shim). I re-drilled the perch hole to move the axle forward another 1.5" so I also had to re-drill the spring plate as well. Other than that, the all-pro stuff bolts right up nicely.

If you are doing a SR, you will have to do something to address your caster angle or it will be WAY off:
1) You could drop the front fixed pivot lower to help level the spring out. Not great for your approach angle but I have seen this done (yuck).
2) Cut and turn the knuckles. This will set your caster to whatever you want. Note that you may still have a poor pinion angle but that is another issue.
3) Use a shim on the spring perch. This works ok and the route I went. Got 3 degree shims from Roger Brown. Also removed the rear stock zuk bracket I was using for the shackle and went with a lower profile mount for a CJ. Between this and the shim I got my caster back from about 12 degrees to 5 degrees and it now drives pretty good. You can still feel the wheel want to 'flop' over when you have the turned hard but I feel its a good compromise.

Do you have PS yet? You will want it with toy axles and 35"+ tires!

Paul
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help...Need proper ubolt size for a Toy front

Have the ubolt bent for you to fit if you can't do it.
(A oxy act torch should make short work of the job)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It is Not a SR so he should be good. As to caster and all that.
KoKo just do what you HAVE to. I can do the gears and DS if you get them out to me, but where you have a time chruch I would just stay with the 4.10's for the trip, and Send me the measurement for the DS andI can make one and bring it with me.
Just throw the locker in the back and wheel it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:29 AM

I can take some measurements of my Sky kit for you. That way, you can get some bent or buy them off the shelf. I'll get those #'s on here later on this evening.
I have the 85 too, and bought the front Sky kit. Kinda sucks though because the drivers side u-bolts are round, whereas the truss makes the axle square, and offset at an angle. I'm going to cut that truss off right under the spring pad and be done with it. I may just truss the top to correct the situation. I've seen many Toy guys that cut that truss with no issues.

Cheers,
Steve
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

My truck is not in as bad as shape as I make it...If could have the axle bolted in I could take the measurement and pull the diffs in not time. The only welding I need on the rig to be up an running is the front ford shock towers and lower shock mounts, oh yeah and water pump. Then it's just putting the front axle back together and brakes. The front bumper, hi lift mounts, seats, and sliders will have to wait though.

Koko
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with Glenn on the ubolt solution. Get one made or head over to Napa and buy a longer one from them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The pressure is annoying, It looks like I will have the funds to buy MH tires anyway, My Ebay auctions panned out okay so that is good.
But I still need to get that squared away and then build a tow bar this weekend. the good thing is I have the week before Pgon off. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (gotta love being a scummy state worker for the time off we have. Sure ain't the cash.)
So I should be in good shape after thes weekend unless I find soemthing wrong with the MH brakes.
(Man I love the tracker after working on this frigging thing.)

Remember Koko adapt and overcome. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode