Helicoil time! FIXED! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Helicoil time! FIXED!

Looks like somewhere in the distant past a previous owner of the 'Zuk I just bought cross threded plug hole #1. It's holding but needs to be adressed soon.

So. Has anyone done this before and if so does it hold well or would it be better to find another head?

Otherwise the new shifter sheet is in and 4wd is working fine! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Helicoil time!

I used a plug chaser a few times when I thought it was history and had good luck. Ya might want to try that first. Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:08 PM

let me look and see if I have a head worth having tonight,I am going after some new plug's when I change them I will look.I know I do have one head that is brand new but I am not sure if I want to part with it.I have used helicoil's before but not on plug holes and seemed to work well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 05:54 PM

I had my first experience with a helicoil a few weeks back on an intake manifold. Couple things. 1) On the package, it tells you the right size drill bit, buy it while you're buying the helicoil. That way you know you have it, you're using the RIGHT one and not a CLOSE one [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] 2) When I tapped the hole, I chucked the tap in my drill with lots of lube (I used ATF) and spun it slow. Keep the drill perpendicular to the surface. When the tap stuck and wouldn't turn any farther, I took it out of the drill and put a crescent wrench on it. 3) Run the tap in and out as many times as it takes until you can thread it all the way down and back up with your hand. That way the coil will thread just as simple. I had a little bit of the coil sticking up, whacked it off with a small cutting wheel on my Dremel tool. It's held perfectly now for 6 weeks ago with no problems. Hope that helps. It's pretty simple.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Re: Helicoil time! FIXED!

Thanks for the write-up LoneToy! One thing to ask:

Did you do it with the head off or on? I know you can do it still on but I worry about the risk of shavings getting in the cylinder and causing problems. It's got 185K and isn't smoking and I don't wanna mess it up! Removing the head eleminates the risk but then you gotta buy new gaskets for everything. X-tra cost!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Got away with just chasing the treads with a tap. The first few threads were messed up but not too bad. It was all the carbon built up that was the main problem!

Thanks for bearing with me and my silly little adventure! [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode