OT-Kharmann Ghia - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

OT-Kharmann Ghia

My brother just called and said he got a 1969 that a co-worker sold to him. We are going to go pick it up tomorrow and tow it home since it has lapsed registration and no insurance. Complete and running a year ago when parked. Faded paint from the Texas sun. Guy came from California and couldn't handle the summer heat so he got a car with ac. Anything to look out for? Neither one of us have had VW's but for $900 bucks he couldn't pass it up. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 03:28 AM

Re: OT-Kharmann Ghia

I would recommend checking out www.thesamba.com It is by far the leading site for air cooled VW's.

Things to check on the VW are the pan. Typically they will rust out under the battery tray on bugs. Ghias have the battery in the engine compartment but check for rust just the same. I would recommend replacing the fuel line in the engine compartment in case it's old. It's also a good idea to move the fuel filter farther away from the engine itself. A very common problem was the fuel filter was between the fuel pump and the carb. If it leaked, it would drip right onto the distributor and poof, up in flames.

If your brother has any specific questions I might be able to answer them. I currently have a 61 ragtop beetle that is my current summertime toy. Chances are any questions he might have can be answered at thesamba though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 03:31 AM

almost forgot. since it's been sitting for a while it wouldn't be a bad idea to change out the fluids. Depending on how much gas is in the tank you can drain that out too. If you guys drain the tank I would recommend pulling the tank and replacing the fuel line that goes from the tank to the chassis line at the front bulkhead (it's only about 8" long).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 08:28 AM

Check the HEATER~~
My step brother was all most killed in one . This was a NEW one less then a year old. Exhust was leaking in to the car , Knocked him out and he had a VERY serious wreck. VW some how got ahold of it withen a week it was GONE crushed and shipped out!!! NO EVIDEANCE!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The battery was under the back seat and the floor has a few rust spots, not to bad. Good idea on the fuel filter. Going thru the fluids this weekend. On the gas, it had some so being curious we got a battery cranked it over...it started! Rough at first but going. After mixing more fresh gas it settled out. Running a couple of gallons to pick up the settled debri and relocating the filter when we change it. Will check on the exhaust gas. Portable detectors will make that an easy check, but a good one. The chrome bumpers have seen better days and the tires will need to replaced. All in all I think he got a good deal. We towed it to the carwash before he took it home and he was offered twice what he payed for it there at the carwash without knowing if it ran or not. Again thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode