cylinder head - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:18 PM
45ACP

cylinder head

Hello all, got a question for anyone who can help. I already tried a search and couldn't find anything.
I purchased a 92 samurai a month ago. It had a siezed cam. I took a chance on a junk yard head & cam (gasket cost more than the head). I got the thing up & running and it runs great. It runs 65 pounds of oil pressure @ 1800 RPM warm The problem I have is it smokes real bad. When the head was off I inspected the cylinder walls and they looked real good. After I saw the smoke I ran compression and it has 175-180 pounds on all cylinders. #4 spark plug is running wet, 1,2 &3 look real good. I checked for play in the valves and they were about the same as the rest. I know thats not a good check but with that much smoke I would have thought something would be obvious. Can someone fill me in, do these 1.3's run valve guide seals? mine don't have any on either the junkyard head or the one I pulled off. Has anyone had valve guides smoke that bad? This thing gets worse as it gets warmed up. I'd be thankful for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 09:59 AM

Re: cylinder head

I just replaced a head gasket on a buddies rig and ended up with the same problem. Instead of leaking water out the side of the block, it is now burning oil like CRAZY. I can't figure it out. In my case, I know it isn't the head, it has to be the gasket (I used a Fellpro one too??) or the installation (you either have it in right or backwards right??). Anyway, hopefully someone has some ideas. I am all ears on this one.......
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 04:40 PM

Are you shure you got the head gasket on correctely? There is a hole in the front that lubs the cam and If you put the gasket on upside down you'll wipe the cam. I don't know if it would cause oil burning or not though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 04:56 PM

I am aware of the hp oil hole and am sure it is in right. The engine has about 20 hours on it and if that was wrong, it would have fried the top end long ago. Its gotta be something else....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 06:07 PM

Maybe a valve seal.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 06:40 PM
45ACP

Yes, I too have put the head gasket on correctly. with all the hype around about the "oil hole", one would have to be silly to put it on wrong and probably shouldn't be pulling lids off engines. I'm so confused! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 07:01 PM

Yep I when I did mine I Checked it 3 or 4 times "JUST TO BE SHURE" [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you replaced the pcv valve yet ?
Sarge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:23 PM

In my experiance its not uncommon for a tight head on an older lower end to blow
the rings out as far as oil consunmption. You can still have decent compression and
burn oil.

However, I would take Sarges sugestion on the PCV, and make sure the hoses feeding
it are clear. The other thing is when you take a yard head, you should at least put
valve seals in it Those little rubber umbreallas (Assuming a zuke uses those, I havent
had to do a zuke head yet, very soon though.) are useless when they get hard.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, the Sami head uses umbrella seals . If it sat for awhile or the pcv is clogged , good chance one or two has blown itself off the valve guide ...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode