Putting Tranny In - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Putting Tranny In

I must be a moron. Everyone tells me how they can put a tranny out and in in no time but not me. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] I got it out no problem but putting it back in is a whole other thing. I made the mount cut but I can never seem to get it high enough to line everything up. I don't have a good floor jack but a cheap one so that may have something to do with it. Any tips on reinstall would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Old Hand

Re: Putting Tranny In

it's best to have 2 people, but you can do it by yourself. Crawl up under that thing & put the tranny on your chest. Lift it up in there & get it started. Sometimes I have to turn the output to get the splines to line up. Should slide all the way up to where you can start a bolt. That's the way mine has always been. Hope you can get 'er in there.

Brad.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Wiggle and heave. Best way to describe it.
It has been awhile since I have done it but I take the front d-shaft out, int shaft and leave the shifter off the trans,
put the tailshaft in above the X member and then move it forward to assemble it. (I think that is the order.)
takes some wiggling to do it. (up down and side to side.)
Make sure to leave the trans mount off (both pieces.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
put the tailshaft in above the X member and then move it forward to assemble it

[/ QUOTE ]

Glenn, That might be where I am going wrong. I will try that way. Both my forearms have developed some tendonitis i nthe past 6 months so that doesn't help either. Thanks for the help. Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Brad for the advice. If what WW told me is a no go I will find a helper. Thanks. Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:51 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I don't have a good floor jack but a cheap one so that may have something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the jack underneath, and a ratchet strap from the top. Run a ratchet strap under the tranny up through the tunnel, and around the roll bars.

The ratchet strap works well for 3 reasons.

#1. The ratchet action allows you to lift 1/8" at a time

#2. The strap acts as a swing, allowing the tranny to move forward and back as you align the input shaft

#3. Strap is very thin, so there is less to get in the way while you are aligning.

Don't get discouraged. It takes a while to get the hang of at first, but once you have had it in and out a few times, it gets a lot easier (don't ask why I know this)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jim a little story.

My buddy and I were finishing up my Zuk on the Friday night before the first bash with Glenn (Zookin 2K1). Well we had just installed the tranny and he was tightening up the starter bolts when he tells me "Dan come and check this out" Well it tuned out he broke the bolt off in the bellhousing!
We were supposed to be on the road already and stuff wasn't going very well at all. So I was going to give up at this point, but my buddy said come on lets go! So I told him to do something else and while I pulled the tranny, extracted the bolt piece and re-installed it in record time. If I remember well it was like a little over and hour or something like that.

Ah them last minute wrenching days are a beast........

The trick is just have a feel for it. Always make sure the clutch disk was centered when the pressure plate was bolted up, the bellhousing and the block are parallel, the input shaft is going in the splines with a little wiggling on the output shaft. Last but not least grunt like a bastard when trying to wigglin and gigglin' it in!!!

Good luck........
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 11:25 PM
zutefisk

Not a moron, I futzed around on and off for 2 days trying to get mine back in. Got lots of advice from the neighbors. I learned two things:

1) Make sure you have aligned the clutch.
2) Make sure you don't have the back of the engine tilted up too high.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 11:30 PM

Yup, Make sure the engine is at the right height and hasn't fallen back against the firewall.
Kerry
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 02:57 AM
preacherkeith

Hey man, YOU CAN DO IT...
I got a "real good deal" on a "good used" transmission with a 3 month warranty, went to Houston (100 miles) picked it up, pulled my old one and installed this one by myself on a Friday Evening. Then on Saturday I pulled it again, because the transmission didn't work on Friday and went back to Houston to get the one he was supposed to seel me. I reinstalled it on Sunday after church... If I did it you can. I was thinking that I did it without a jack, but the more I thought about it I remembered having the jack under there, I think it helped??? I did mine by hand the first time but with the jack the next time.

You Can
You Can
You Can

KC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode