Sammi is dying!!! Help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 05:17 PM
bo75

Sammi is dying!!! Help!!

My 87 sammi recently blew the fusible link that was attached directly to the battery. I custom made a new one out of 12 gauge wire but now the battery light stays on. There is also a burning smell (plastic) coming from within the engine. The fuse for the wiper also keeps on blowing and I tried using a higher voltage fuse but saw smoke coming from my steering column..also the wiper wouldn't stop wiping too with the larger fuse. The engine starts up fine but as soon as it warms up, it dies. I installed new plugs, air filter, and PCV valve today but that didn't help. I had distributor checked too and it looked good. Idle speed was also adjusted accordingly. I'm not really sure where to go from here though...New EGR maybe...? Let me know what you guys think. I don't have the vent tube in my carb yet but is it detrimental to the idle? Also, how do you test for electrical shorts? And could the alternator be faulty? My stereo was recently ripped out of my sammi so there were some frayed wires but I cut them all off...if this pertains to my problems...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Sammi is dying!!! Help!!

Sorry, bo75, but you are not addressing the REAL problem which is the electrical system!

First, you need to visually go through the truck's wiring system and look for a short-circuit caused by damaged or frayed wires. I came close to your situation when the guys installing my exhaust system accidentally damaged the taillight wiring while welding.

Make SURE there are no shorts (obvious or otherwise) before going any further!

Check all the grounding points in the engine compartment (black wires attached to sheetmetal) for a secure, rust-free connection. This is a common problem in older Samurais and can affect how the engine runs regardless of any possible electrical short-circuits that may exist.

REPLACE the fusable link on the battery with a OEM unit before proceeding any farther after repairing any and all wiring problems! Don't screw up your electrical system any more than it already is by bypassing the one thing that keeps your truck from burning to the ground.

Once you get the electrical problems under control, I bet the rest of the problems will go away if they also started with the electrical problems.

Trying not to be too harsh, I remain

Ack
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I sell these if you are interested. PM me if so. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
bo75

I got a question...is there suppose to be a fuse between the battery connector? Maybe that's why all my stuff is getting fried? I ordered the OEM part from Petroworks...hopefully that solves my problems...I also hope the O2 sensor helps with the idle problem...It starts fine but when hot it dies...Petroworks says that there is another idle screw I should adjust but I couldn't find it...a picture would say a thousand words...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
is there suppose to be a fuse between the battery connector?

[/ QUOTE ]

No there is not a fuse, it is a thinner gauge of wire that is designed to burn up like a fuse but no as easy to replace. That is why I made this with the 30 amp fuse. Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There's a useful aftermarket product! Neat idea!

Proof that enterpreneurship ain't dead!

Ack
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 02:38 AM
preacherkeith

Hey Bo75,
Listen man... if it has a 10 amp fuse it needs a 10 amp fuse. You have heard the saying "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link"; well the fuse is designed to be the weakest link in any electrical system. If something is "Gonna Blow", you want it to be the fuse. The wiring harness is designed and laid out with it's load in mind. In other words if a load (light, fan, guage, wiper etc...) has a load of say 15 amps, the engineers will rate the wire for say 25 amps but put fuse in line that is 20 amps. That gives the system a little play room just in case a stick gets jammed in the wiper motor or something. It will run up to 20 amps, break the stick and no damage done... But say for instance the stick doesn't break (the load gets
to much for the little motor) and the amperage goes up to 21 amps, then the fuse opens (burns). You go to turn the wipers on, they don't work, you see the stick, pull it out, replace the fuse, no harm done. But if you put a 30 amp fuse where it is designed to be a 20 then the weak point becomes (you guessed it) the wire, and then unfortunatley the wire that feeds the wiper is in a harness (bundle) that also has the wires that go to the blinkers, headlights etc... and that one little wiper wire gets hot enough to burn into several of the other wires. And then guess what. You have a little bit bigger problem on your hands, now all the wires are burnt. All because you upsized a fuse... hum, so now what do you do.
I would suggest taking all the fuses out and setting up a meter to check for amperage load from the battery. As you put each fuse back in and (by the way, the load has to be turned on, unless it is shorted (burnt into something that will ground it)) check the amp draw. This will help you to determine which circuit is shorted, ground or open.
Look, NO MORE oversized fuses... It popped for a reason.
I do not know it all and yes, unless our dear old Daddy told us otherwise, we have all made that mistake.
If I can help email me at [email protected] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
KC
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 03:54 AM
bo75

Can you guys tell me what exactly this fusible link is linked to? Is it to the fuse box and/or alternator? The fuse for wiper blows when 15 amp is used...all others check out okay..how do I know if its open or ground and where is the ground for wiper? I will wait until I get OEM link to perform more tests...wish someone had this problem before...hate to lose money to autoshop...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:56 AM
preacherkeith

Bo,
In reply to your post and your email... I wouldn't put the new fusible link on until I have found the problem and repaired it. Instead put an in-line fuse there. This will give you the power you need but if you (accidently) do not repair it and still drive it or turn the load on with the short it will cost you a 30 cent fuse instead of a 5 dollar fusible link. IF it is just the wiper motor that is overamping, I would trace that circuit out and look for grounds, then check the motor itself for bad windings (ground or otherwise). It might not be ground, it could be that the motor windings have started to develope an open or a short across the windings. While I am at it let me explain the terms... A Ground is when you have a positive wire touch a negative place (wire, block, frame etc...)prior to going through the load. The entire vehicle is a ground, block, frame, body, etc..., because the negative terminal on the battery is ground to the frame, block, etc..., this prevents the manufacturer from having to run two wires to everything (positive to load from battery, common or ground back to battery). So make sure all of your grounds are really good and tight (and clean), This is a major cause to rough idle, and sometimes even not running if bad enough. So steps:
Pull all oversized fuses and wire
Check all Grounds
Check wiring to wiper motor and switches
Check amperage and resistance of motor
This should get you to the source of the problem, if not write again on email and I will try to help.
KC &amp; the sunshine band [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
There's a useful aftermarket product! Neat idea!

Proof that enterpreneurship ain't dead!

Ack

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack, You would think, but I put it on ebay twice with no bids [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode