alternator for 1.6 16 valve out of tracker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

alternator for 1.6 16 valve out of tracker

Ok Ive got the 1.6 16 valve out of a 95 tracker in my 95 Samurai(as everyone has heard a million times now). My alternator went out on it....so no big deal, go to Advance get a new one.....put the new one in and it doesnt work either......assuming that something like that couldnt happen I decide to drive myself nuts and make sure every wire is good.....looked like they're all good so i finaly kick over the bucket and take it to a mechanic.

The mechanic tested the alternator from advance and it doesnt work...so simple....he orders a new one...new ones works...but doesnt work with the serpentine belt...so he orders yet another one that should.....and it didnt seem to fit with the belt either(kept getting in a bind).

So he orders one thru suzuki for a 95 geo tracker(once again isnt fitting in right). He ordered another one that hes gonna try to get in there and it should be here at 2EDT.

So my question.....is this a common problem? Where the hell do you guys get your alternators out and what kind is it? Ive been with out my zuk since sunday 04/11 and im about to go nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: alternator for 1.6 16 valve out of tracker

I realize that my setup is a bit different in that I had the pulleys on my 1.6 8-v modified for a v-belt 1.3 samurai A/C pump, but to me it sounds like somebody isn't holding their mouth right during the installation...

Check for possible mounting problems, like a bent bracket, improperly seated bracket (there may be a bit of slop between the mounting hole and the stud or bolt at the block that is causing a positioning problem) or an extra/missing spacer washer that is causing alignment problems.

Usually things either bolt right up on the g13 or 16 blocks or they don't.

Guys: wasn't there a major design change between the 95 and 96?

Ack
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 07:44 PM

G Killz:

Why not just make it real confussing and go with a bigger gm alt.. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Your accessories will thank you later [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anarchy Joe [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

lol well...if stock parts arent fitting the damn thing i can only wonder how another part would do.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 AM

When I was working for a auto part I saw that many many times. What we used to do is to take the pulley from the old alternator and put it on the new one.
If you still have your alternator you shold ask then to do that.

Of corse the new alt need to be the same (except pulley) as your old one.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

That would probly work....but i no longer have the original alternator. The last alternator tried fir in there but didnt charge...so its gonna be tested today and if its bad they'll try one that works....if it does work then who knows what the next step is
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 08:01 PM

G Killz:

I ordered the trail tough kit and used a gm alt from an impala w/air, swapped pulleys( $7.oo at advance) and did a little grinding on the arm that goes on top and waa laa..total time 25 min [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hope you get going soon, weneed some more zuks on our trail rides... [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Anarchy Joe [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

well....looks like the mechanic found a way to rig it up with some help. He let a special alternator guy look at it and the guy in just a few minutes knew that it was a bad wire in the alternator....then he took a 12 guage wire and ran it from the post on the alt(which for some reason I thought was a ground)and ran it straight to the positive post on the battery. Anywho it works now. The mechanic didnt charge much at all even tho they put about 6 hours of work in it(charged only one hour).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:46 AM

from what i understand the stock 1.6 is 55 amps , which is like 20 more than the 1.3 alt. i just put in my new 1.6 and i am trying to decide if i want to install the gm high amp 1 wire that i already had est upp on the 1.3. i run big piaa lights, cb, and a radio. do you think that the stock 1.6 alt has a decent reputation or would you swap to the gm alt???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode