axle gearing... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

axle gearing...

Got a couple of ques but first. I have a rear toyota Fj60 axle and a front toyota pickup axle, my dilemma is that the front has 4.10's and the rear has 3.73's. Now all my mud buddies are all about keeping that ratio given the power division at the transfer case leaves the front slightly weaker (like a 40-60 split right?) so the minor gearing increase helps it spin up more faster and more adequate. However, I'd really also like to get into some rock crawling, given that said someone tried to tell me that small of a jump shouldnt hurt anything but I would really just like to make sure. So what do ya think? Should I just slap a FJ40 diff in it and get'r done or keep on rolling with the minor offset?

P.S. Also, when buying the Firebird Master Cylinder, do you get the front discs rear drums or the 4 wheel discs or what????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:18 AM

Re: axle gearing...

Billy, 10% isnt minor except to maybe a mudder. For solid surfaces 1-2% is all you
should allow, so 4.10-4.11 or 3.54-3.56, (a common Ford ratio split) isn't an issue.
With 10% you will start breaking Ujoints and twisting drive shafts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:36 AM

I would sell the FJ60 rear end and buy one out of a mini truck. Around here you can find mini truck axles for $100, which is less than a R&P and probably less than what you can sell the FJ rear for. The FJ stuff is very heavy for a Zuk (weight wise) and I think [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] that most of the FJ stuff has a c-clip rear axle [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] A mini truck axle with 4.10's is a whole lot easier, cheaper, and IMHO, better in a Zuk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

You dont need to do a R&P install its merely putting a FJ40 differential into it. So I would much rather do that to keep the beefiness of the FJ60 and the passenger side offset diff ( I run the stock transfer case, just on steroids lol). Thanks Wayne that really cleared it up. Now does anyone know about the Firebird MC?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 01:30 PM

my late father-in-law bought a early 70's 4x4 ford pickup new and it had well over a 10% difference between front and rear diff gears. it did not work very well and sold it very quickly. as outlaw has stated keep the ratios fairly close such as 2% or closer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode