final drive train set up questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

final drive train set up questions

working on gathering parts for the 87 tin top that my room mate picked up and I ran in to a question.
It's going on YJ leafs and Toyota axles with 4.10 gears and 33" tires for now (35's when these wear out).

I'm looking at the Petroworks 4.89 gears for the t-case right now so it can move itself down the street, and some light to moderate trails while he learns to wheel it.

I figure it'll be about a year before we'll be ready to scrap the 1.3L and upgrade, and this is where the question comes in.

The choices now are the 16v tracker motor or the 2.5L V6 Vitara motor. Then it'll either need to be the auto behind those, or add in the 2:1 auxillery reduction box to the 5 speed. What will decide this is the overdrive on the auto transmissions. I think that if they are both just 3 speed tranny's then we'll be geared to low for street use.

Anyone have any input here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 04:08 PM

Re: final drive train set up questions

The first thing I would decide is auto or manual tranny. That decision takes you in somewhat different directions gearing wise. With the manual, you need to go lower gears to get the same result. Auto's work well in the right combo, but are not the norm, especially in <nobr>Suzuki's</nobr>. If you decide to stay in the mainstream, I would go as low as possible in the t-case gears right off the bat. You can get 6:1's for about the same price and the high ranges in all the 4.16 to 8:1 cases are so close it isn't worth worrying over. A doubler is a cool idea because it gets you more gearing combinations for different circumstances, but at $1,300 to $2,000 for a doubler, it isn't for the shy or financially challenged (like me [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ).

On the motor upgrade, they are nice but they are spendy. Think about how yours runs, what else you could buy with the money, and how much on-street driving you will do with it (on-street is where I appreciate my 1.6 the most).

The best advice I can give you is get a plan and work at it. Without a plan, you can waste a lot of time and money bouncing around without making much meaningful progress.

I would put the priorities in somewhere around this order:
1. Decide on tranny.
2. Buy some t-case gears.
3. Get the rig lifted onto the Toyota axles.
4. Get rear locker.
5. Look at power steering and a front locker.

That's my $0.02 Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: final drive train set up questions

Just to clarify, this rig is getting Toyota axles with 4.10's, SOA on YJ leafs from the word go. It's also got power steering and a high steer at the same time.
I'd guess that 80% of it's life will be on the street, and driving to the trails is a 2-3 hour deal. So an engine swap is a definate with it.

In a perfect world it'll be the V6 and auto that goes in when the time comes, but that's kind of subject to availability. Same goes for the auto trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode