Half Doors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Half Doors

I made myself a set of half doors from a spare set I had laying around. I have been trying to learn how to weld sheet metal. Well I still need some more practice, but the bondo covers it up nicely.

Pic

If you notice I moved the door handle down to make them usable for opening and closing the doors. I did not use any inside handle, i figured without a window in my way I can do it like we did with the old pickups on the farm and reach to the outside of the door to open it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:48 AM

Re: Half Doors

I think it looks pretty good...never thought of doing that either....good idea
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:59 PM

hows it going brent? your zuk and doors look very nice. i have problems with burn through trying to weld on the tin-foil-like zuk sheet metal.

ps have you gotten any use out of the hardtop?

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 02:15 PM
GRW

I have an extra set of doors whating for the weather to get a little nicer. Than they will loose the upper half. I picked them up last fall. It looks like you moved the door handle down? I am also looking at making a soft top half (kinda like the jeeps). When I removed the angle that holds the flairs and rocker panel covers on, it was a pain. At the time I didn't have a mig, I used gas. That was fun [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Did you make a cap or did you fold the skin over?
I am looking at a cap, so I can sleeve it for the top half.
Do you have any more pics?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 07:23 PM

I did the same thing but I just open mine from the inside , after all "NO GLASS". I moved the latch down so it would work. I also did fold the skin over to make the arm rest and then I used some FOME rubber pipe insalation on top of it ~worked out Grate!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 09:22 PM

I did mine slightly differently than you guys. I ran 2x3 tubing along the upper edge. I cut down the door panels and ran the material over the tube and sandwiched it between the tube and the outer sheetmetal. Then I just riveted the outer shell to the tube. Worked great, looks clean and gave me a padded door top.

http://www.rokzuki.com/samurai/html/halfdoor.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Hey jerry. Yes I have gotten some use of the hardtop. I took it off now for the summer. I am going to try make some repairs to it before winter.

I did have trouble welding the tin foil, but I did make it work. I found the best way for me was to weld short beads at a time and let it cool. I did end up blowing some hole, but I was able to fill them back in. I also had some trouble with the door warping some. I was using a mig wire feed with small guage wire, can't remember the thickness right now.

Here are a few more pictures.
More pictures

I used 22 gauge sheet metal and bent it over 90 degrees and butt welded the outside of the door and put the folded over side towards the inside. Makes for less sharp edges to rub on your elbow. That light of sheet metal you can bend it over by hand on a table edge. I did move the ouside door handle down, and redid the linkage. In some areas my welding looked like bubble gum holding it together, but that is what a grinder is for and the bondo helps cover it up. If I get ambishious I may add a padded arm rest on the top.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 06:23 AM

mmartian1969....that pin inside the top of the door, are you using that as the door handle?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 09:49 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I did mine slightly differently than you guys. I ran 2x3 tubing along the upper edge. I cut down the door panels and ran the material over the tube and sandwiched it between the tube and the outer sheetmetal. Then I just riveted the outer shell to the tube. Worked great, looks clean and gave me a padded door top.

http://www.rokzuki.com/samurai/html/halfdoor.html

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty cool. How does the hood pin thing work?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 09:52 AM

Haven't quite finished them but heres mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode