Oil Pump Plugs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Oil Pump Plugs

Does anybody know what the removeable plugs are for on the sides of the Sammy oil pump? Is it an additional place to check oil pressure? The reason I ask is that one of my recently acquired Sammy's had the oil light on at low RPM's. I obtained an oil presuure gauge and proper fitting and checked the oil pressure at the oil pressure switch location in the block. Had <5 lbs at idle and 28 lbs at 3000 rpm (Not close to spec). Wondering if it is a bad oil pump or the head gasket is in backwards. It is a supposedly "crate" engine with 1000 miles on it. Don't want to pull the head unless I have to, or replace the oil pump unless it is bad. Anyway to identify the specific reason for low oil pressure, i.e. other locations to check oil pressure? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 01:58 PM

Re: Oil Pump Plugs

the pressure should be the same pretty much everywhere in the motor sounds like a bad pump or a bad rebuild
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you changed the oil and filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Take the valve cover off and start it up . You should see oil circulating to verify that the head gasket isn't in backwards . Shouldn't take more than a few seconds to see the oil flowing into the drains . If the pump was installed and the gasket allowed to slip or pump not rebuilt correctly could cause this problem also . Or, some yak really fubarred the fitment of the crank ....or cam , ect....
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Journeyman

The plug on the side of the oil pump housing covers a coil spring and little piston that serves as relief valve, in case the oil filter becomes clogged, and the pressure shoots way up. Did you use the Suzuki original sending unit and hook it to an aftermarket electrical oil pressure guage? If so, you probably got an inaccurate reading. My high mileage 1.3 stills produces 100PSI at mid to upper RPMs and 25 PSI at idle when the oil is hot.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Changed oil and filter. Removed factory oil pressure switch and threaded in aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge. Readings: After warmup <5lb at idle, 28lb at 3000 rpm. Did peak once at 38lb. while semi cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode