Suzuki VS CR/Consumers Union - UPDATE!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Suzuki VS CR/Consumers Union - UPDATE!!!

Sorry I can't remember who posted the link , but I went to their site and read all of the information that is posted there concerning the lawsuit against CR by Suzuki . I not only read it , I also wrote them an email voicing my opinion and disgust over what they did to Suzuki . I'm sick of paying higher than usual insurance premiums because my vehicle is believed to be prone to rollovers . We all know better , yes I've dumped it over on the trail , I deserved it for sure . A standard Buick would do the same in that ditch at that angle for Pete's sake . I didn't expect what I got from that letter , a response thanking me for writing them and voicing my concerns/opinions about this matter . Here is part of that very email:

"Suzuki has asked that I respond to your recent e-mail to [email protected] to thank you for your comments. We would like to learn of your interest in finding out more about Suzukiís case, which is now set for trial on October 19, 2004, and would be happy provide any additional information you may need. As Suzuki has indicated, instead of waiting until the trial, Consumers Union is now engaged in an attempt to harm Suzuki and smear its good name. Consumers Union is desperately trying to damage Suzukiís reputation and sales with the apparent hope that Suzuki can be coerced into dropping its lawsuit.

Suzuki has established a website, www.suzukivcu.com, with facts about the case. The website includes an important rebuttal to an article that appeared in the March 2004 edition of Consumer Reports magazine."

Wow. I was really surprised with that response . I also found out that Bill from Izook's petition to get the Samurai re-released here in the States did not go unnoticed . We need to show our support for Suzuki here , if nothing else things like this can help keep an open line to oem parts in the future . It can also keep magazines from doing things like what CR has done in the past and continues to do today . I'd appreciate it if all of you would pass this info along to anyone who drives or even appreciates the Samurai in any way . Too many times in this great Nation of ours we fail to take a stand , this time I really feel we should . They should know that we aren't going to quietly go away , let them hear us coming....
Sarge

http://www.suzukivcu.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Suzuki VS CR/Consumers Union - UPDATE!!!

Doug, could this be kept at the top for awhile ? My next letter to them is going to include a link to this forum so they can see how we are trying to support their case . Thanks,
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:21 PM

Sarge, just got done reading that site, all I can say is everyone should spend some time there. If it weren't for CU we'd be able to buy new coily Samurais today [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Or at least used ones since we're cheap b*stids....

I learned of CUs manipulation firsthand, in the early 90s we sold 8mm video cameras in our shop that were rebadged Sonys. Identical in every way except the name. CU rated the Sony a best buy and the brand we sold better than half way down the list.

Always suspected a $ trail could be found from CU to Honda. They're good cars but to be at the top year after year?? C'mon

Hope Suzuki brings them to their knees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I appreciate your post and response . As I said , I am writing them soon to show them a link here , they really need to see that we still after so many years support the Samurai and everything it stands for . Yep, we're cheap or we wouldn't be here . But , for such a capable and inexpensive vehicle I say BRING IT ON !!! BTW, Bill Johnston wrote a very good peice on this very subject , worth a read at Izook.com . A stock coily Samurai with a diesel would indeed be sweet , I'm drooling now....lol .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge:

Thanks for this excellent, informative post!

From what I have read, it all boils down to two things:

1. Has Consumer's Union finally crossed the line between reviewing products with a journalistic eye for the facts of the matter and that of making headline-grabbing statements for the purpose of increasing their income at the expense of a product it has reviewed?

Various medias, including both Print and broadcast, have over time been threatened with legal action for publishing the true facts of important matters in our society. Nearly every time the media has won the battle thus permitting the public access to information that affects us to our great benefit and loss.

However, winning 99% of the battles against the censoring of the Fifth Estate does not guarantee the Fifth Estate (in this case Consumer's Union) will win them all.

The appeals courts have spoken. Enough of the appellate judges believed that, based on the evidence presented by both sides, a jury could actually rule in favor of <nobr>Suzuki</nobr> after considering the facts.

That's fancy legal talk for Consumer's Union does not have enough of a case to claim that, by going to court, the protection of the media to report facts, no matter how damaging they may be to someone or something (a government, corporation, etc), will be compromised in all future cases of this nature.

2. Once the facts are presented to a jury in a court of law, commonsense will reign and Consumner's Union will be held accountable for their acts.

The case will stand as a message to the media that <font color="red"> First </font color>Amendment Rights to freedom of expression indeed does not mean that you can yell "Fire" at the top of your lungs in a crowded theatre when there is no fire. Even if you are Consumer's Union.

Ack

PS: Thank you Yankee Tim for pointing out my glaring error (now corrected and highlighted in red). The Fifth Amendment covers Double Jeopardy, Self Incrimination and Due Process.

I stand corrected.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 08:45 AM

WoW~ Just watched the video~ Took me a LONG time as I have an old slow system but it was well worth it, I just recentely put mu Zuk sidwayes at highway speed in the road due to 2 deer runnigng out in front of me and my manover made the one's in the video look like childs play, what happned as result?? ~~ NOTHING ~~ I straightned it out and went on to 4 wheel all day down in southern ohio. !!!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:17 PM

Larry--

Bring your truck back to the suzuki dealer immediately. There is a recall available -- it was supposed to tip over and blow up.

Murph
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Fifth Amendment Rights to freedom of expression

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack, not being nit-picky, but just for a matter of record, it's the first amendment, not the fifth. Prolly a typo.

The First prohibits the free exercise of religion and prohibits laws abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press. Couple of other good things in there too, like protesting (read: petition) the goverment to address gripes and problems, and to gather is giant swarms, as long as we play nice. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oddly, the Bill never gave us freedom of expression. That is a result of a wonder ability to interpret the Bill loosly or strictly. Hence, pooping on a canvas and displaying it at the Guug is considered "speech". Menecing speech is also protected. One can make a claim that the "streets will be in chaos and the city will burn" if rights (ie, civil, political, voting, etc.) are not given or restored, as long as it's third person observation and not a direct threat to make cause of such riot or unrest. While the speech may be menacing, it is not threatening, even of others fell threatened by it.
Good Reading on such speech click here.

Funny, the best chance the bars and restraunts have at repelling the smoking bans is to use the peaceable assembly clause in the First. Think of it, if gathering together and smoking is a public health meneace and must be banned, then bars and nightclubs that serve alcohol to patons who drive or worse are fair game also.

As I digress,

The fifth has to do with self incrimination, double jeopardy, due process, and just compensation. Just in case you find yourself in serious doo-doo, or if the gubermint is tryin' to take yer land. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Keep 'em coming guys , Suzuki needs to see this interest from us .....
Sarge
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the information Sarge. I am soooo sick of the liberal media boldly telling lies as if they were the truth I could puke [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img] I honestly can't stand to watch the news or read the paper or magazines anymore. I appreciate Suzuki for their willingness to fight. Like was said above, I LOVE my Zuk and look longingly at the coiled Zuk's with turbo-diesel motors selling abroad. Thanks CU [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

BTW, I have wheeled my Zuk on some of the most challenging ground around and drive it on the highway regularly. Even with a foot and a half or so of lift, I have still never flopped it (knock on wood).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode