EFI Tracker: ticking noise @ cold start, fixed! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

EFI Tracker: ticking noise @ cold start, fixed!

I had the '96 Tracker 16v in for service. They cleaned the fuel injectors (it looked like a moronically simple task - oh well).

No more "ticking" sounds when started cold!

It looks like the mileage will be significantly better, although she does not idle well. Codes indicate she needs an O2 sensor and I haven't given a good look at the plugs lately...

Anyhow, if you have that cold start ticking on your EFI Track/Kick and it's freaking you out, you might check into cleaning the injectors with an injector cleaning kit from the auto parts store...

Ack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 12:42 AM
GRW

Re: EFI Tracker: ticking noise @ cold start, fixed!

Can you go into a little more detail, please.
Does it just tick when you start it up?
Or does it tick for a little while (while worming up)?
I have a 97 16V, with the ticking noise.
The valves have been adjusted, and it runs like a champ.
But the ticking noise makes me nerves (making me think it's the lifters) Thanks for the post.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 11:05 AM

ack

the codes might indicate that it needs an O2 sensor, its probably something else attached to that code on the computer and not the O2 sensor.

my 16v said the same thing, so I changed the O2 sensor, no good, the code came back after I cleared it off the computer.

talking to Brent at TT (if I can remeber the conversation) something like, the plugs/ wires/ air filter/ rotor and cap/ air-fuel sensor can cause this code to show up.
if your rig is burning too rich or lean it will cause this code..

as for the idle thing, what I did for mine, (my rig idle was jumping around high/low/high ) I went down to the junk yard and grabed a MAP sensor out of a tracker. problem went away.

paid something like $5 for it.. dealership wanted $250

hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

GRW:

The engine used to tick for a while while warming up and continued to do so at a much lower sound level afterwards.

It also sounded like a valvetrain problem and was freakin me too.

The "technician" used a injector cleaner (obtained from Advance Auto Parts). A liquid was poured into the intake somehow (read the directions, I guess) causing the exhaust to put out a thick gray smoke for a while. After the smoke completely stopped (10-15 minutes of driving) the engine ran much quieter.

Shortly thereafter, it developed idling problems and would frequently die while stopped at an intersection.

rich d:

Oops! I bought a new O2 sensor and was going to intall it today. I'll hang on to it and the receipt until after I replace the plugs and check into finding a "new" MAP sensor.

I suspect that replacing the plugs will improve things as they probably were affected by the injector cleaning -- the idling problem started immediatly after that.

Thanks!

Ack
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Way Outta Control

The problem with those "injector cleaners" is they loosen up carbon chunks. They move around, fouling plugs, getting stuck under valves etc.
Pouring water down or some kind of chemical is about the same, just even more dangerous. DON'T!!!!

The so-called "injector cleaners - many of them -- the ones that add their chemical into the intake manifold -- think about it - it's a scam!!! How can it clean the inside of the injector when it never went through the injector?

The only real ones disconnect the fuel line and run the chemical through the lines and injectors! But those are dangerous! They attempt to clean it all in a few minutes - obviously the chemical is very aggressive. It loosens the big chunks - then they move around. And, even if the chunks don't come off right then, they do later, giving troubles.

There's only 2 ways to clean it all up properly and safely:
1. One is disassemble it all and clean - too hard.
2. The other is simple, easy, effective.
Add a can or two of TECHRON to the fuel tank. Use it double or triple strength to whatever the can says. It'll SLOWLY, SAFELY dissolve the carbon and varnish - then let it burn. It won't break off chunks - just dissolves it slowly. It'll be clean inside by the time you burn that tankful of fuel with the Techron. After you finish that tank, change the oil and filter!
There's alot of snake oil cleaners around, the best I've found is Techron or GM Carbon-X if you can find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode