Track/kick engine AND transmission in a Sammy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Tazshido

Track/kick engine AND transmission in a Sammy?

I CANNOT be the first guy to ask this question, but I can't find anything on this subject in any BB I query. Why not use a 1.6l engine with a two wheel drive track/kick tranny? Since the Sammy Tcase is divorsed, couldn't I mount the T/K units up front and use a custom intermediate shaft to connect them to the Sammy Tcase? I don't know that much about the T/ks but it would seem easier and better to go that route than to screw around with an adapter between the eng and tranny. Maybe I'm talkin out my a$$ here. Let me know, any help is appreciated when you're a newbee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:30 AM

Re: Track/kick engine AND transmission in a Sammy?

I think Brent @ TrailTough did this a few years ago, or somehow mated the 2-wheel drive Track-Kick tranny to the 1.3L. If I remember correctly the trany is quite a bit larger and may have required some floor cutting or a body lift, but I'm not 100% sure. I know there was a write-up on it somewhere. I'll try to find it and post a link for you.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That is what Tomkat is doing. I don't think he's the first to be doing it either. I'd keep up the search too, I remember seeing something similar to it somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:20 AM

I did this a few years ago when I first went to a 1.6 8v. I'v since upgraded to a 16v with it and it still works fine.
There was an article about the swap on Izook (I believe) that I used. The tracker tranny is bigger and beefier than the samurai's and gives you a full inch wider clutch plate.

The tranny tunnel needs to be widened a little. The intermediate shaft needs to be cut down to a TUBE length of 7/8"-1" (yoke> 1" tube> yoke). A one inch body lift would "ease" the fit. I did the flip the body mounts lift and used a few washers under the front clip (for engine clearance). The opening for the shifter has to be relocated a little furthe back on the tunnel. Almost to the T-case shifter opening.

The tranny widening was not as bad as I thought. If you look straight down on the tranny tunnel from above, you'll notice the tunnel is NOT symetrical. The drivers side of the tunnel has been narrowed a little to make room for the gas pedal. Sooo only the drivers side really needs to be widened.
I took my angle grinder and cut a straight line from the firewall behind the gas pedal (~2" out from the tranny tunnel) to the floor level with the seat. Underneath the sammi were the cat heat shield was there is a small C channel support. Cut away the small portion (level with the sheet metal) that is between the cut and the tranny tunnel.
Next, I used a scissors jack and a few 2x4s in the tranny tunnel. I would slowly open the jack and with a screwdriver in hand, coaxed the expanding tranny tunnel sheet metal to slide up on over the drivers floor. It easily opened up over 2". The edge of the sheet metal can be lightly tapped down and welded, rivited etc. The last thing is to cut away the extra floor that is now sticking out in the tranny tunnel. There was plenty of room for the tracker trans after this. The biggest clearance issue for this trans IMHO are the "Frankenstine" bolts that stick way out on either side of the shifter. The body lift helps here. Also the main wiring harness from the rear of the sammi passes through the inside of the upper tunnel on the drivers side. You don't want to cut it or squish it with the jack etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:53 AM

Excellent write-up Whazoo. I searched and coudn't find the page I was referring to, but your description should more than suffice for Tazshido.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:19 PM

What about installing a 1.6 w/auto into a samurai?
How much harder would that be to mate it up to a sami tcase?

steve
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:36 PM

Shouldn't be any different, as long as it's a 2-wheel-drive tranny. You'd have to get some measurements to compare of course, but if you are using a 1.6L engine, I can't see any reason not to use this tranny and adapt the jackshaft between it and the Samurai transfercase.

Another thing to keep in mind if you guys go this route is that if you use the 4x4 tranny and use the Track-Kick transfercase, you can send the Track-Kick transfercase to OTT Industries and they will adapt it so that you can bolt the Samurai transfercase directly to it. Now you have dual transfercases, crawler gears, and no jackshaft. The set-up should be stronger because you get rid of the divorced transfercase set-up (less twisting and stress on the mounts). Of-course you might have to adapt your front and rear driveshafts to make it work depending on wether your rear transfercase ends further back in the frame. Just something else to think about.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:44 PM

these guys used to sell the intermediat shafts allredy built for the 1600 in a samurai setup at a reasonable cost http://www.hawksuzukiparts.com/ this is what I want to do http://www.ottindustries.com/kicker3.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I just put an automatic in my sami. I didnt need a body lift or cut anything but I widened the heck out of it with the scissor jack, I could have made it look better if I took my time but its all about function at this point. You will have a REAL short jack shaft if you want to leave your case in the stock location. Mine is in the stock location but I cheated and use OTT's Kicker 3. This is the only picture I can find:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1285661-MVC-002S.JPG (71.1 KB, 54 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:58 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
these guys used to sell the intermediat shafts allredy built for the 1600 in a samurai setup at a reasonable cost http://www.hawksuzukiparts.com/

[/ QUOTE ] Now that you posted this, I'm thinking maybe it's Hawk's site where I saw the write-up I was referring to. Anyone else remember seeing it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode